Lonnie Bird's Secretary
(09-04-2021, 09:11 AM)Scoony Wrote: In Glen's book, he states to set the TS blade at 20 degrees to cut the top edge rabbet. Thats what I did, then cleaned it up with a shoulder plane. I believe that matches the lock angle for the lid.

Yes the desk is a bit of a pain to open the front. I have enough fingernail space to open mine, but leaving the key in does provide an easy pull.

Thanks Scoony. But how to you get a shoulder plane inside the 20 degree rabbet? 
Jim
Jim
(09-04-2021, 09:27 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks Scoony. But how to you get a shoulder plane inside the 20 degree rabbet? 
Jim

Then maybe its actually a 110 degree rabbet.  Depends on how you look at it.  No issues using a should plane to clean it up.   I will take and post some pics.
(09-04-2021, 09:24 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Jim, sorry, my bad.  The release pin is in the first photo on top of the compartment.  I located the hole pretty far back, and it is just the size of a paper clip, so while you could put a handle on the pin, at least on mine, the chance of finding the hole is pretty small, and it would be difficult to get your hand that far back and get much pressure.  So mine works more like a lever, butt the stop block against the edge of the molding, and then go from side to side to find the hole, then insert the pin and push down on the long arm that works like a lever.

When I was making the desk I made a slight "V" groove leading to the holes so as to make it easier to insert a pin (nail). That works pretty well for me.
Jim
Another way is to just use a false bottom. Pull that out and the lock is exposed. Just reach your hand back and release the lever lock with your fingers. That's the design Jeff Headley uses on his Winchester desk.