what is it called.
Just had a huge storm IDA come through NJ and fortunately I had minimal damage. The sum pump is working over time. But the sewers in the area filled and backed up into homes with basements like mine. I had raw sewage fill my slop sink and overflow on the floor. That night I put one of those rubber plugs in but it may have stopped solids it allowed water. I cleaned floor today and put a sump pump in the sink to keep that in check. What I need to do so this does not happen again is put one of those lack of a better word check valve in line somehow. Question is what are they called so that water goes out but not back in?? Also how hard is it to install?? Do I need a plumber?? Can I get from Home center?? Thanks.
John T.
A check valve maybe?
Back Flow Preventer
You can purchase them at the big box stores.

Who installs is based on your skillset and the type of plumbing. If your drain line is PVC and not cast iron it is an easier install. My recommendation is to hire a plumber to ensure you meet all code requirements. The extra cost for piece of mind is priceless.
PJ
Plympton, MA
It's called a palmer valve. Concrete has to be taken out where the sewer pipe enters the house. The pipe is then cut and the valve is installed. When installed there it protects the whole system. Sounds like itwould be worth it for you. In WI it is mandatory in all new construction.
Photo 

Google "backwater valve" and you'll see a bunch of them.  We had one like the pic above installed about 10 years ago.  They placed it outside (about 4 feet from the house) for easy inspection and cleaning.  It has worked great.

Mike
(09-06-2021, 10:27 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Google "backwater valve" and you'll see a bunch of them.  We had one like the pic above installed about 10 years ago.  They placed it outside (about 4 feet from the house) for easy inspection and cleaning.  It has worked great.

Mike

I installed one of those in my old house about 30 years ago.  Stopped the backflow problem 100%.  Mine didn't have the inspection section - I would install that one now if I needed it.  Haven't had a problem where I live now - 21 years.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.