Clogging dust collector gates
Is your blower the HF model? I ask because those are more like1.5 HP and have a smaller impeller than the typical 1.5 P blower. Hooking it to the cyclone only reduces air flow, so you could have more of a problem with not enough oomph versus duct work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-04-2021, 12:53 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Is your blower the HF model? I ask because those are more like1.5 HP and have a smaller impeller than the typical 1.5 P blower. Hooking it to the cyclone only reduces air flow, so you could have more of a problem with not enough oomph versus duct work.

No it is a grizzly 2HP model.  I do realize it would be better with 3 or even 5hp.  But when working it seems to do a decent job and hopefully better when all gates are working.
A carpenter's house is never done.
You have a respectable DC and it should work well. A couple of things, you mentioned the TS had no gate (always open) and that will reduce the flow elsewhere in the system (I'm saying this with limited knowledge of the total setup). So, for example, when you had the clog from the 4" line at the 6" connection what might have happened was the air flow in the 4" line was barely enough to carry the chips...but when that air hit the 6" line it's speed slowed dramatically allowing the chips/debris to fall out and form the clog. Another thing you should check is your filter. The finest dust gets to it and clogs it..resulting in an overall loss of air flow. With the Oneida I used to have it was so bad I wound up putting a gauge on the DC outlet to keep on eye on the filter.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
As others said, either drilling a hole or trimming a corner of the gate to create a small amount of airflow, to keep the tracks clean, will work. This is how I remedy mine, you'll notice the small airways created: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgCeY0jMm4/
I recently redid my DC system. I have a Penn State 2 1/2 HP unit, typical double bagger. Replaced the top cloth bag with a Wynn filter. Six inch main trunk line (all the way from the impeller to all drops) and 4" drops. With the Rockler Dust Right system I effectively have a blast gate on every tool.

To me it's important to have only one port open at a time. Never had a clog as yet.

Doug