Bench Chisels with Blackwood Handles
Received a request for two sizes of bench chisels 1/2” and 1”. African Blackwood handles.

Ron

[Image: 3B1D8390-E0E4-465F-85AA-7C40D035756D.jpeg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Stunning, Ron! How do you bring yourself to hit those with a mallet?
(09-10-2021, 11:17 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Stunning, Ron! How do you bring yourself to hit those with a mallet?

When I was testing these it did give me some pause when I was chop testing the edge. But they did fine with no signs of marring after the fact. 

Ron

Wow, just stunning!
Ron, wondeful lines and colors!

Cheers
Pedder
Ron, your chisels are looking better and better. I like the longer handles that you have here. How thick are the blades? 3/16”? Have you tried making thinner, say 1/8”?

I have Ebony- and African Blackwood handled chisels. They have proved quite durable with a mallet .. as long as you are not using a metal head or a heavy hand. My mallets have UHMW heads …

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-10-2021, 07:30 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: Received a request for two sizes of bench chisels 1/2” and 1”. African Blackwood handles.

Ron

[Image: 3B1D8390-E0E4-465F-85AA-7C40D035756D.jpeg]

My MY MY. Curious. Do you make paring chisels?
BontzSawWorks.net
Beautiful! And yes, inquiring minds want to know: do you make paring chisels?
(09-13-2021, 03:40 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Beautiful! And yes, inquiring minds want to know: do you make paring chisels?

I’ve not yet begun making paring chisels. That being said, it would be a simple transition from bench chisel to paring chisel. It would require adding 2 or more inches to the length of the blade, going to a thinner bit of blade stock, 3/16 or 1/8”, and grinding the primary bevel at a lower angle. It would also require tempering at a lower temperature in order to leave them a bit harder than would be required of a tool used mostly for chopping. The additional hardness would make possible a keener edge conducive to paring. 

I’ve been making some specialty chisels with characteristics conducive to paring Kumiko stock. Butt chisel length blade, all corners on the blade broken for comfort, slightly shorter handle for easy one handed use. The one pictured has an olive wood handle.

Ron

[Image: 0E68FA4A-4952-4766-BD18-3FEC797C1508.jpeg]

I would love to see those in a longer (paring blade) chisel.

Oh and in my tool box
Smile

Really nice job!!