Dovetail angle
<p>
(09-26-2021, 09:56 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: </p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p> But to the untrained person they know they are dovetails.</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>Tom</p><p><br></p><p>

</p><p><br></p><p>Indeed.</p><p><br></p><p>Dovetails (cut at the common angles) and finger joints are distinctive to even the untrained eye.</p><p><br></p><p>Simon<br></p>
<p>Hmm..could be...</p><p>
    </p><p>vs..</p><p>
    </p><p><br></p><p>Note:&nbsp; Poplar boards were the same width and thickness...</p><p><br></p><p>But, what do I know...<br></p><p><br></p>
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
A dovetail is a mechanical joint designed to be made with hand tools, and will hold together when the glue fails.

A finger joint is designed to be made with machines. It relies on glue for strength, and will fail when the glue does.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
<span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>
(09-26-2021, 10:59 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: A dovetail is a mechanical joint designed to be made with hand tools, and will hold together when the glue fails.

A finger joint is designed to be made with machines. It relies on glue for strength, and will fail when the glue does.

Regards from Perth

Derek

yep......And I have seen many a box joint that has failed over the passage of time.....
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

<p>Some do....like those ammo crates Remington used to sell....but, most of those would be around a 100 years old.....LOL</p><p><br></p><p>There are some&nbsp; "wood butchers" out there, that will drill for a brass rod to go down through all the fingers....in the theory it will strengthen the joint.&nbsp; usually either too loose, or it splits the fingers.&nbsp; And, the epoxy they use to "glue the rod in place...meh...<br></p><p><br></p><p>maybe I am the "oddball" here...as I do the finger/box joints with hand tools....less set-up time, less noise, less dust flying around in the air. VOE<br></p><p><br></p><p>But, again, what do I know, as I am not a Guru on these sort of matters.&nbsp; YMMV<br></p>
<p></p><blockquote>Steven writes, “maybe I am the oddball here... “</blockquote><p></p><p class="sceditor-nlf"><br>mmmmm …. tempting … <br><br>Regards from Perth<br><br>Derek</p>
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
<p>Well...I think I have better things to do right now....than listen to some cherry-picking stalker of a TROLL. &nbsp; <br></p><p><br></p><p>Like getting my knee fixed....and find out why my back is hurting so bad....walking around is SO much fun....almost as fun as listening to this BS....</p><p><br></p><p>You all have fun...Used to deal with Spec-4s with Derek's attitude.....used to send them out on point....just never seemed to run out of them.....good thing, as they usually only lasted one patrol......although, the rest of the Platoon seemed to be happier with them gone...</p><p><br></p><p>Now, seems I have a "Re-run" project to blog about....something about Poplar Boxes.....</p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>I may return here...whenever I am in need of a good laugh....<br></p>
<p>I was quoting William Nu. He has a woodworking school and does a lot of excellent YouTube video's.&nbsp; He is well worth watching.&nbsp;</p><p>Anyway I know the difference between dovetails and finger joints.&nbsp;<br></p><p>&nbsp;I have an Antique -woodworking tools- what ever , for sale plus&nbsp;&nbsp;anything&nbsp; in the front of my building where my shop is,&nbsp;and it is&nbsp;open 2 days a month. Which just happened to be last Friday and Saturday.&nbsp;Believe it on not, a lady, yesterday, saw an old wood box that was finger jointed together and her comment is OH I just love the box with all the dove tails and things. And she also loved the dry rotted section.&nbsp;&nbsp; Hence her comment yesterday and remembering William Nu's comment I had to throw&nbsp;finger joints and dovetails&nbsp;in.&nbsp;<br></p><p>The box I was going to throw on the burn pile, my&nbsp;wife said just put it out on the floor for the week end. The lady loved the dry rot, and the dovetails, even though they were finger joints and I made $10 in the process.<br></p><p>I go t auctions and I see people open chest of drawers to see if they are dovetailed or not. But &nbsp;I have never heard any comments about at what angle to dovetails were cut at. Nobody cares about the angle but you<br></p><p>One person&nbsp;says 6:1 for soft wood, and 8:1 for hardwoods.&nbsp;I read that same thing in a book once, so because it is in print it is the law, and it must be obeyed.&nbsp;Dereck likes 6;1 or 7:1. My dovetail marker is at 10 degrees so I must not have gotten the memo. My first dovetails were made buy using a Craftsman dovetail jig and I used a 14 degree cutter. What was I thinking? By the way I know that 6:1 is a little less&nbsp;than 9 1/2 degrees.<br></p><p><br></p><p>Tom</p><p><br></p><p>Tom</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>
There are some "wood butchers" out there, that will drill for a brass rod to go down through all the fingers....in the theory it will strengthen the joint. usually either too loose, or it splits the fingers. And, the epoxy they use to "glue the rod in place...meh...

maybe I am the "oddball" here...as I do the finger/box joints with hand tools....less set-up time, less noise, less dust flying around in the air. VOE
I love the looks of box joints and commend you for cutting them by hand..I would love to snag an old Remington ammo box no matter what condition it was in!!!!!! IMO, I think they exhibit more craftsmanship than dovetails. The only ones I have made have been with a jig and a tablesaw.....And don't let anyone wear you down with negative comments and make you stop posting..you are helping keep hand tools alive!!!!!! Lots of us enjoy seeing your work and how you do it...
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

<p>
(09-26-2021, 10:59 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: A dovetail is a mechanical joint designed to be made with hand tools, and will hold together when the glue fails.

Regards from Perth

Derek

</p><p>Where is that "Like" button...</p><p><br></p><p><br></p>
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site