Just another shop cabinet? Maybe.
I just finished this cabinet for bolts and screws and small parts. Baltic birch plywood with American black walnut drawer faces and trim. This is my first project to include a live edge of any kind. It was a last minute idea, but I think it turned out pretty cool.

This fits the same depth dimensions as all my other recent shop cabinets which I have standardized on the same depth and the same caster size. This will allow me to put all the cabinets together on the same wall if I ever want to and they'll essentially "match" as a sort of modular system.

A little story about the walnut. It came from my stash which I have been holding and lugging around to every new shop for the last 20 years. I bought it as part of a pile of various species of hardwood at an estate sale about 20 years ago. (My daughter was maybe 7. She's 24 now.) I offered the seller about $200 for the stack (a pickup bed full) and he turned me down. I said, "Well, if you change your mind, call me." After getting no other interest, he called me that afternoon.

And some was definitely too split or checked or what have you. Trash, honestly. The wood really wasn't that great. It was rough sawn, but I think most people would have graded it as seconds from looking at it. 

But I never have been able to bring myself to get rid of it. Instead, I've just slowly milled it up on a per project basis and made all sorts of neat projects with it. A surprising number of boards have yielded some fantastic figure and very usable lumber. I love knowing I've had this pile of "sow's ears" and managed to make all sorts of "silk purses" out of it. (My dad always said that.)

Anyway, thanks for looking!

[Image: IMG_2097.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2098.jpg]
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Great looking cabinet!  I also have some walnut seconds and use it around the shop.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Lov it! Great job! 
Cool
It certainly turned out very nice...almost to nice for a shop cabinet!
Yes
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That's a doggone good looking cabinet!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Well done. That is a fine looking piece of shop furniture.

The story of the wood makes it all the better.

Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Nice looking cabinet, for sure, but if you really intend to use it for hardware, I hope your castors have cast Iron wheels, for a couple reasons.   With hardware and other misc metal "junque" you'll quickly get into the 2 to 4 hundred pound category, and plastic/rubber wheels will quickly develop a significant flat spot, and not roll well.
<p>
(09-19-2021, 07:13 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: Nice looking cabinet, for sure, but if you really intend to use it for hardware, I hope your castors have cast Iron wheels, for a couple reasons. &nbsp; With hardware and other misc metal "junque" you'll quickly get into the 2 to 4 hundred pound category, and plastic/rubber wheels will quickly develop a significant flat spot, and not roll well.

</p><p><br></p><p>I take your point, Mike, but I doubt I'll have enough in quantity for that to be a huge concern.</p><p><br></p><p>T.J.</p>
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
<p>I really like the way you incorporated that live edge on the top drawer!</p><p><br></p><p>Never give up on a piece of wood...I have some of my own "legacy" boards hanging around in the shop.&nbsp; A lot of the wood I have is stuff I bought to put away in the wood stash "just in case."</p>
<p>
(09-26-2021, 05:38 AM)WxMan Wrote: </p><p>I really like the way you incorporated that live edge on the top drawer!</p><p><br></p><p>Never give up on a piece of wood...I have some of my own "legacy" boards hanging around in the shop.&nbsp; A lot of the wood I have is stuff I bought to put away in the wood stash "just in case."</p><p>

</p><p><br></p><p>Thank you!</p>
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas