moving a bathroom?
ok, I've got a bathroom in my basement, sink/toilet/shower.  I would like to do away with it.  However it is connected to it's own drain system and I would like to make use of that.  Along the south wall there are two drains that exit the house and join up outside the house, basically a "Y" coming into the house.  The basement bathroom hooks into one.  The toilet has it's own connection and the shower and sink I believe share one connection to the drain. 

The room above that is a room I don't use and was thinking of converting into a combo bath room / pantry / general storage room.  Maybe at some point have a washer/dryer in it.  My house isn't fancy, it's not going to be in Better Homes and Garden.  I'm more concerned about usability and it working right, not saying I want it to look like junk or anything but hopefully you get the picture.  

What I was wondering is it possible to remove the basement toilet and use it's drain for a toilet and sink above?  Basically run or connect a pvc pipe into it the drain and use it for the toilet and sink above, maybe a shower too.  I don't see it as being that different then the other 1st floor bathroom which has a sink/tub/toilet which all drain into one 3 1/2 pipe feeding to the other drain.  The only difference I can think of is the toilet would have a flange on top of the drain right now.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
It's doable but not as simply as you describe.  The toilet will be sitting on a short radius 90 which is not acceptable as a stack base.  The toilet drain should be exposed, cut and have 2 x 45's or better a 45 and a wye to turn vertical.  The branch of the wye would be a cleanout, normally mandatory at a stack base.  The new plumbing on the main floor would have to be compliant including venting.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

killjoy.  
Upset
Laugh
Laugh

What if I removed the toilet and the sink in the basement, left the sink drain in place.  Then instead feeding it all into one stack I fed the toilet into the toilet drain and the sink above into the drain that was used for the basement sink.  The basement sink, toilet and shower drains are tied into a vent.  So if I used the sink drain for the sink and the toilet drain for the toilet they would still be used only for their original intent and would use the vent those drains are tied into.

Or is the vertical distance for each drain a problem?

And thank you, this is why I come here, for info like you gave.
mark
Do you want the technobabble about exceeding fall between trap outlet and vent connection or should I say your plan B is not acceptable either? 
Wink
Blackhat

let's skip the technobabble and just go with the not acceptable either.  What if I tied them to a vent on the first floor level.  That would put vent connection higher and just leave a long drop for some carp.  
Laugh
mark
Possible but it would likely be a hell of a lot more pipe and still leaves you with the stack base problem.  The vertical drop puts you back to needing to be compliant with requirements for a stack.
Blackhat

well carp. Guess I'll pass on this. Don't want to mess with the floor to do the 2 x 45's or a 45 and wye that you said. Maybe sometime in the future.

Again thank you for the help and info.
mark
The other issue I haven't mentioned yet is the actual physical connection to the existing flange.  I don't know whats under the existing throne but there is not likely anything that a new fitting or pipe can actually be connected to, you would have to open enough floor to cut the existing flange and bend out before starting over.  That puts you back where I suggested the first time around.
Blackhat

I've done a lot of plumbing over the years (including a whole house from the ground up), but when we moved a toilet, shower, and laundry connections in this current old house I glady wrote the check.  Starting from scratch I might've done it myself.
yeah I hate plumbing and had been thinking about this one for over a year before I even posted my question.  If it is replacing a part I'm ok.  Even prior to the evil™ blackhat crushing my hopes and dreams I was thinking about having somebody give me an estimate on doing it the way I mentioned earlier.  With what blackhat has said this would definitely be in the write a check category.  I'm just not sure if I want to have someone cutting up my basement floor and messing with the drains underneath.  Seems like it could be one of those "Oh well we didn't know about this so..." situations.
mark