refinish table & chair
I posted this in the Finishing section, am posting here for more exposure.
A lady at church has asked me to refinish a table and rocking chair that has been in her family for decades.
The table is a mahogany drop leave that had sat in a window in her parents home for years without being moved. A portion of it has been sun bleached in certain areas while other areas has not been affected. I'm thinking thoroughly sanding and refinish. Or are there other suggestions. What top coat should I use.

The rocking chair is made of RO but was painted in the 1960's & she wants to restore it to the original condition. It has some scrolling that I need to preserve. The construction is solid on both pieces and I don't want to take them apart. What's recommended to remove the paint?

Jim
I redid a table years ago for a friend, similar situation. I slowly sanded until to good wood, refinished as they wanted it. Turned out fairly well.
I snuck up with the sanding, only wanted to remove what was needed.
Thanks MT for your input

Jim
Jim
I'm sorry I don't have anything to contribute to your question, but there is an excellent YouTube channel called Thomas Johnson Antique furniture restoration. He does some really neat restorations so maybe you could pick up a few tips.

I was offered all the restoration/repair work I could handle and turned it down. It's just so much nit-picky work sanding and scraping and sanding, and then more sanding. But hey, to each their own. I think there's a huge demand for restoration work and I bet it pays well.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Do make sure that table is not a veneered top before going to town with the sander.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
    A couple of questions about refinishing this chair.

1) Has anyone ever seen a thin dowel used to support arm rests? I think they're copper or brass. Hard to tell with the paint on them.

2) What paint stripper has anyone used to refinish an antique?

3) Would anyone suggest to dismantle the chair clean it up & then reassemble? It appears someone has done this before the insane painting.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Jim
<p>
(09-20-2021, 10:57 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: A couple of questions about refinishing this chair.

1) Has anyone ever seen a thin dowel used to support arm rests? I think they're copper or brass. Hard to tell with the paint on them.

2) What paint stripper has anyone used to refinish an antique?

3) Would anyone suggest to dismantle the chair clean it up &amp; then reassemble? It appears someone has done this before the insane painting.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

</p><p><br></p><p>Am I the only one that doesn't understand that chair seat at all?&nbsp;&nbsp;From what I can tell, it looks like it effectively has a breadboard end, and a circular insert.</p>
I think it may have had a cane insert that broke and was replaced with wood.
VH07V  
<p>I would strip both pieces and use something with MEK.&nbsp; Then hand sand the table as needed to clean it up.&nbsp; Sanding the finish off the edge profiles would be a pain without stripping first in my opinion.</p><p><br></p><p>For the chair use a brass wire brush to get the gunk out of the carvings.&nbsp; Hand sand and refinish.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>It's a lot of work no doubt.</p><p><br></p><p>Wear gloves and eye protection and do it in a well ventilated space.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>
(09-22-2021, 03:49 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I think it may have had a cane insert that broke and was replaced with wood.

</p><p><br></p><p>Eightfingers. You're exactly right, it did have a cane set that was replaced with the wood. Under the wood plug is some pretty ugly support.</p><p><br></p><p>Jim</p>
Jim