veneer vs solid wood
Is there a sure fire way to determine if a table top is solid wood vs veneer?

Jim
Jim
Usually just looking at the top you can tell. Look at the seams between boards. Usually, solid wood seams are more obvious than veneer seams.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
<p>Look for grain patterns to be fairly consistent on the top and bottom of the piece or if you can see face grain traverse into the edge grain sections.&nbsp; If there is no end grain on the edges it's probably veneered.</p><p><br></p><p>If it's an older piece it might be veneered to plywood so if the weight is less than solid wood it's probably ceneered.</p>
<p>
(09-19-2021, 08:35 AM)museumguy Wrote: Usually just looking at the top you can tell. Look at the seams between boards. Usually, solid wood seams are more obvious than veneer seams.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and kind of disagree with you there. (Office Space moment). A good solid wood joint can be very had to find.</p><p><br></p>
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Look at the bottom - it will either be covered in a different veneer, or not veneered at all. If its particle board, its a dead give away.

Look at the end grain - or should I say lack of endgrain.

Often there is no endgrain b/c the substrate is edged with solid wood and mitered in the corner.

If there is a profile on the edge, sometimes you can tell the wood is different and again - no endgrain.
<p>
(09-18-2021, 12:08 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Is there a sure fire way to determine if a table top is solid wood vs veneer?

Jim

</p><p><br></p><p>Like others said look at the grain pattern on the top and edges, see if the grain lines up with the end grain, also it's common to see a cheaper different species balance veneer on the bottom . See if the grain on the bottom matches the top can you see the grain continue from the top through the sides/end grain to the bottom. Get out a magnifying glass and look for glue lines where the top and bottom meets the edges. Glue lines can be difficult to see especially on old furniture that have darkened edge profiles or years of dirt build up, you may need to do some clean up to see better.&nbsp;A little tip I learned the hard way is sand the bottom of the piece first, if you sand through an edge that will never be seen it's a lot less stressful to deal with. Start sanding with the finest grit that you think you can get away with and do the sanding properly.</p><p><br></p><p>Paul</p><p><br></p><p>Paul</p>
(09-18-2021, 12:08 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Is there a sure fire way to determine if a table top is solid wood vs veneer?

Jim

Yes Jim, there is. Drill a hole through it or saw it in half.

Wink
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure

Jim

Look at the underside.  It's rare they veneer the underside of a veneered table top.  Even if it's veneered, the grain won't match the top.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
TomFromStLouis Wrote:Yes Jim, there is….saw it in half.

Wink
That would require measurement and planning. I think any fractional cut would work.
Big Grin
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp

Jim

After using these and other procedures I'm confident that there is no veneer on the table.
Thanks to everyone's input & suggestions.

Jim
Jim