Advice - tool acquisition
<p>Your friend has all he can handle right now.&nbsp; Take the tools and give them a good home, yours or someone else down the line.</p><p><br></p><p>Getting the shop off his to-do list could be a big relief.</p><p><br></p><p>Memorial donation down the line could be nice, but easing his load right now could be priceless.</p>
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I agree that this is a weight off your friend’s shoulders, if not a woodworker. But, rather than making a donation to a charity, which is pretty emotionally disconnected, I would build him something (from the wood pile and with the machines you have inherited) that he will keep and be reminded of each day. You know him best to decide what this might be.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
He might not take or need the money but someone in the family down or across in some direction does that might have known that woodworker. That LT18 is a $4K plus saw I bet. Id start looking to help someone in his name that actually knew him. Just me. I usually don't take no for an answer.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I obviously don't spend enough time on here because you folks are gold level advice and wisdom.

My friend spent his working years machine tool working - brilliant guy who knows his way around tool and die stuff but as I've said, no interest in the woodworking stuff. 

Thanks for the suggestions on the reviews and videos of the X31. I'm very intrigued about upgrading from a Delta 22-580 planer to the X31. Even though I'm not gaining any extra width the power upgrade could be valuable. Also I've currently got a Delta 6 inch jointer that's only 110/1hp so it "seems" i would gain something there as well. And I could replace the straight blades with a Sheelix?

And the bonus could be the shaper function. My friends dad has a boat load of blades for this.

I'll post an update a couple of weeks from now as I have to make a decision one or the other before the end of October because it's all got to go after than - by shovel and dumpster loads if it doesn't go home with me.

Thanks again fellas!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker