Build Me Table?
Wait a minute! Where does the leaf go? A pair of those aprons would have to get longer. So something may be, or is, concealed in the closed position.

Personally I would rather not have a table with cross grain joints on the top surface. Even with breadboard ends; if you spill something, some of it will get into the joint purposely designed for movement.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
"Personally I would rather not have a table with cross grain joints on the top surface."

By "cross grain joints" do you mean quarter-sawn wood?

There are many woods that are gorgeous quarter-sawn. Sycamore is one of my favorites.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-21-2021, 01:20 AM)iclark Wrote: "Personally I would rather not have a table with cross grain joints on the top surface."

By "cross grain joints" do you mean quarter-sawn wood?

There are many woods that are gorgeous quarter-sawn. Sycamore is one of my favorites.

I was referring initially to the legs extending thru the top. I can't foresee that joint remaining liquid tight after a few seasonal changes. It's similar to breadboard ends; they're about the only way to keep a "bread board" flat but we only glue the center portion to allow for expansion and contraction when they get washed and dry out. At some point something will get spilled and seep into the joints. Not too bad with white wine; but how about burgundy?
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(09-21-2021, 08:45 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I was referring initially to the legs extending thru the top. I can't foresee that joint remaining liquid tight after a few seasonal changes. It's similar to breadboard ends; they're about the only way to keep a "bread board" flat but we only glue the center portion to allow for expansion and contraction when they get washed and dry out. At some point something will get spilled and seep into the joints. Not too bad with white wine; but how about burgundy?

Thanks for the explanation.

If the grain orientation of the stretchers does not match that of the top, then attaching the top to the legs is going to be a problem when humidity in the room changes.

If the table top is not attached to the legs and only sits on the stretchers (possibly with clips), then the top can be removed temporarily for cleaning when the kid stuffs shrimp dip in the gap.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

(09-21-2021, 09:32 PM)iclark Wrote: Thanks for the explanation.

If the grain orientation of the stretchers does not match that of the top, then attaching the top to the legs is going to be a problem when humidity in the room changes.

If the table top is not attached to the legs and only sits on the stretchers (possibly with clips), then the top can be removed temporarily for cleaning when the kid stuffs shrimp dip in the gap.

So we have a cross grain problem when the end stretchers are attached to both legs. Maybe they aren't. There was mention of a leaf, and I don't see any indication that the top is cross-cut. If the end stretchers are two pieces, with a sliding dovetail (or something that keeps them parallel) then each piece could be attached to a single leg allowing the top to open lengthwise for a leaf or two. For that matter, there could be two or more of the same, expandable stretchers under that top to provide support for the leaf(s). 

While providing a means to open the top for a leaf does remove the cross grain problem, I still don't like the top cut out for the legs. BTW the mark-up on furniture is 100%+. Would I build that table for $1000? Sure, but the minimum order is twenty, and the price doesn't include packaging or shipping. I'll take 5% off if the legs stop under the top where they're supposed to!
Big Grin
<p>Based on the link the aprons on the end slide outward and the leaves sit on top of that. Definitely adds to some of the complexity.&nbsp;</p>

<p>
(09-22-2021, 09:22 PM)msweig Wrote: </p><p>Based on the link the aprons on the end slide outward and the leaves sit on top of that. Definitely adds to some of the complexity.&nbsp;</p><p>

<br>I kept missing that there was a link until your post made me go back and hunt for it.
Sigh<br><br>There must be some interesting structure in the underside where the extensions won't hit it. <br></p>