How to winterize water lines in a vacant rental property?
(09-28-2021, 11:33 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: I don't like the RV antifreeze.  It'll turn to a hard slush, but it works well enough.

And it doesn't expand when it does freeze, at least down to the temperature on the bottle, which is why it's used to displace water.  I use it to push all the water out of the lines in my van after draining them, then I drain the antifreeze out.  Any antifreeze left in the low spots won't hurt anything.

"Frozen" antifreeze at about 0°F.  No expansion.

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My parents' vacation home was in a "community" with a HOA.  The community had a handyman on the payroll and for a fixed fee he would winterize the house and would get it ready for the spring.  

My guess is that my parents did not have a clear idea of what was actually involved.  (Actually, they did have a clear idea--$300.00 was involved.)

Their house was in Margaretville, NY.  I just looked it up.  The average winter low temperature is 11 degrees.  Cold enough to require winterizing.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
generally a good idea to leave under-sink cabinets and dishwasher doors open.

In much colder climes, consider draining the pumps in dw and washing machine.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
Just draining and you might be ok, maybe not. I always drain ours and the blow the lines out If there is a low spot gravity will not drain that and pipes might freeze and break. Anti freeze in toilet and all traps. Remember that after draining you open the shower valve. Just opening the tub line will not drain the shower head. I have seen several times where the pipe from the tub to the shower head froze and broke.