Jointer plane problems
<p>A flat sole is necessary ... so is a very sharp blade ... start by trying to take the thinnest shavings possible ...</p><p><br></p><p>First I sight down the board to determine the flattest side and&nbsp;clamp that side up&nbsp;in my bench dogs and use three (3) winding sticks ... one (1)&nbsp;on each end and one (1) in the middle ....</p><p><br></p><p>This shows the twists, bows and humps ... the No. 7 I use is very flat and very sharp ... I knock off the high spots and keep checking with the winding sticks and a straight edge ...</p><p><br></p><p>Works for me ...</p><p><br></p><p>I have saved some beautiful boards ...</p><p><br></p><p>Red</p><p><br></p>
<p>
(09-22-2021, 09:45 AM)uiact23 Wrote: </p><p>Thanks for the responses.&nbsp; Answering some of the questions:</p><p><br></p><p></p><ul><li><b><font color="#ff4136">The board is not bowed off of the jack plane</font></b>, only after the jointer.&nbsp; The shavings I get with the jointer on the ends of the board are fairly thick.</li><li>The current board I am trying this on is about 36" long and 4" wide.</li><li>My bench is not perfect, but fairly flat.</li><li>The blade is sharp (at least as sharp as I know how to get it).&nbsp; I<b><font color="#ff4136"> do not get a shaving when I place the plane down in the middle of the board.</font></b></li></ul><div><br></div><div>Could the problem be that&nbsp;I need to get the opposite face close with the jack prior to jointing the face in question?&nbsp; The opposite face is of course bowed in the opposite way (ends high, middle low) pretty substantially.&nbsp; Or maybe put a spacer under the middle of the board so it doesn't flex?</div><p></p><p class="sceditor-nlf"><br></p><p>
These two things in red, above, and this from earlier,&nbsp;<meta charset="utf-8"><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; float: none; display: inline !important;"><b style=""><font color="#ff4136">I've checked the sole of the plane and it is flat,&nbsp;<meta charset="utf-8"><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">suggest the board is bowing downward when you clamp it. When you checked the board for flatness after using the jack, was the board clamped in the same manner, or did you pick it up to check it?</span></font></b><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-weight: 400;"></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; float: none; display: inline !important;"><b style=""><font color="#ff4136"><span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;"><br></span></font></b></span></p>
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
<p>It sounds like the blade may be extended a little bit too far on the jointer.</p><p><br></p><p>Based on your description of the other side of the board, you should turn the board over and get it nominally flat with the #5 then turn it this side up and flatten it again with the #5.</p><p><br></p><p>Then, set the board on edge on the bench and quit for the night.</p><p><br></p><p>If the board is still #5 flat the next day, then proceed with the jointer.<br><br>If the board is bowed again, then set it aside for a while and let it moisture acclimate to your shop for a while.<br><br>If the fresh surfaces are sucking up moisture or drying out and that is causing the board to bow as the moisture changes, then you can drive yourself crazy chasing that. Once the board moisture acclimates to your shop, it will be much easier to work.</p><p><br></p><p>Do note, though, that, if the board is reacting with moisture changes, then you are going to want to use a finish that seals all sides/edges of what you are making before it leaves your shop. Otherwise, that board is going to try to bow every time the humidity changes in the house.<br><br></p>
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.