Replace heat and air in my house
<p>I put in a new HVAC system (Lennox) three years ago.&nbsp; I should have gone geothermal.</p><p><br></p><p>The original&nbsp;heat pump failed in early January of the year; being Iowa, I didn't want to rely on the electric backup for several months.&nbsp; I didn't think it through well and jumped right in to a whole new system; heat pump with auxiliary propane burner.&nbsp; Paid about $11K installed.</p><p><br></p><p>I wish now that I had limped along with the electric backup.&nbsp; Being extremely simple, it was very reliable, though very expensive to power.</p><p><br></p><p>I should have bucked up and gone geothermal.&nbsp; I have the perfect property for geothermal and the cost delta would have been easily amortized in a reasonable timeframe.</p>
I've gotten two bids on central heat and air. Both are 13 seer AC. 16 seer is another $450 dollars. Do I need the higher ratings in an AC unit. I'm in NW Illinois. Also mentioned two stage fans. $525 how long would I need to use it for the savings to pay the original costs. I got both bids in the mail Saturday so I haven't had a chance to ask them any questions. Ameren electric is offering $350 rebates on upgrading the system. Both bids offered programmable thermostats.  
Thanks again
(10-03-2021, 08:10 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I've gotten two bids on central heat and air. Both are 13 seer AC. 16 seer is another $450 dollars. Do I need the higher ratings in an AC unit. I'm in NW Illinois. Also mentioned two stage fans. $525 how long would I need to use it for the savings to pay the original costs. I got both bids in the mail Saturday so I haven't had a chance to ask them any questions. Ameren electric is offering $350 rebates on upgrading the system. Both bids offered programmable thermostats.  
Thanks again

Check on the rebates for a 16 seer unit.  It seemed that was the level for a higher rebate and my be the minimum for a federal tax deduction.   Roly
(10-03-2021, 08:10 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I've gotten two bids on central heat and air. Both are 13 seer AC. 16 seer is another $450 dollars. Do I need the higher ratings in an AC unit. I'm in NW Illinois. Also mentioned two stage fans. $525 how long would I need to use it for the savings to pay the original costs. I got both bids in the mail Saturday so I haven't had a chance to ask them any questions. Ameren electric is offering $350 rebates on upgrading the system. Both bids offered programmable thermostats.  
Thanks again

I believe 13 seer is the minimum allowed seer rating now, so you are getting the lowest legal equipment energy efficiently wise. That doesn't mean it's junk or bad equipment just basic...single speed compressor, no head pressure control, single or two stage indoor fan.