anybody know about window repair - broken tilt ltaches
I've recently moved into a house that has vinyl windows. (the kind you can slide the top or bottom half up and down, and are supposed to be able to pull the tilt-latch in so you can tilt the window in and clean both sides. 

Several of them throughout the house, if you slide the bottom half up to open the window, it falls right into the house because these darn plastic tilt-latch tabs are broken off on so many of them.

ugg. makes them unusable in the kids bedrooms and elsewhere. 

I'm not seeing any obvious signs of a screw or whatever to access and replace the broken ones, though I see plenty of options for buying replacements..  Here are some pix. Anybody have any insights as to how to replace these without having to replace the whole window?? Maybe I can just pry these off and then replace with a surface mounted kind?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

There are several vendors selling window repair parts.  You will need to know the manufacturer of your window.  I found these from an Internet search.  No recommendations.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...pair+parts
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-23-2021, 10:41 AM)Cooler Wrote: There are several vendors selling window repair parts.  You will need to know the manufacturer of your window.  I found these from an Internet search.  No recommendations.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...pair+parts

That's the problem I've scoured and can't find anything to indicate manufacturer or anything.. 
But the last sentence of my original post which I sorta threw out there, about just leaving the broken one embedded in the window and replacing it with a surface mounted one, seems to do the trick.. I grabbed one at home depot over lunch and gave it a try.. problem solved!
<p>So, most vinyl windows use generic parts and most vinyl window companies don't stay in business long enough to provide warranty services/parts. Also, most vinyl window companies don't put the brand name on the windows for the same reasons. They never want to hear from you again. Many vinyl window sashes are heat welded together so you can't replace some tilt latches unless that top panel comes off. When that happens, just buy a surface mount tilt latch and screw it on. Snip of the old latch tips.

The exposed piece (sash release lever) on the top snaps into the slide latch. You'll have to remove that piece to slide out the old latch and measure it. You might be able to find a part that works in that slot or make one.

Surface mount is much easier.</p><p><br></p><p>Try to find one that is narrower than the top of the sash so you can move it around to get the right fit. <br></p><p><br></p><p><a href="https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Products-2722-Window-1-Pair/dp/B00DS4DDPE/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&amp;keywords=vinyl+tilt+latch&amp;qid=1632483641&amp;sr=8-8">Surface mount latch</a><br></p>
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay