Type of wood
    What wood is this? I originally thought WO when I stripped the spindle but the back appears to be different. Are they the same species?
Jim
Back looks like a veneer to me. Spindle reminds me of elm but it difficult to be sure.
No veneer. The front side looks exactly the same and has scrolling much to deep to show only solid wood. 
Still WO?

Jim
Jim
Well, give us a little more information. Is it hard and heavy like oak? If so, I would not say no to your ID. Look for the fat rays in a quartersawn face.

My first guess looking at the panel was some softwood like douglas fir, partly because of the way the holes aged.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
When I said veneer I meant laminated. It looks like laminated strips that make up the back. No clue on species.

Add pictures of the long edge of the back
(09-28-2021, 05:00 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: When I said veneer I meant laminated.  It looks like laminated strips that make up the back.  No clue on species.

Add pictures of the  long edge of the back

I checked the edges after sanding, etc. and it is solid wood. I'm pretty perplexed as to species of wood though.

Jim
Jim
Looks like rift sawn oak to me. Or quarter sawn with little to no rays or flecks showing.
I agree with riftsawn WO. I'm no chair maker but wouldn't it be unusual for the spindles to be a different species than the rest of the piece?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(09-27-2021, 01:54 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: What wood is this? I originally thought WO when I stripped the spindle but the back appears to be different. Are they the same species?

I'm not too good at wood I.D. but it sure looks like some old growth pine I have worked. How many growth rings per inch at the tightest?

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!