EMT conduit 90* inside corner bend acceptable?
(09-30-2021, 07:07 AM)mound Wrote: Another aside, the rounded covers have screw holes in all 4 corners, but the boxes only in 2 corners. Why is this? Won't this mean two empty screw holes on the covers?

It's so you can orient the cover with device in it any way you want.  The boxes are not usually symmetric, with different sized knockouts in different locations, so you can rotate the box any way you want and still mount the cover for whatever orientation you want.

It'll look better if you pick an orientation for the boxes based on conduit run entry/exit side and location and stick with it.  It looks funny with top-left screw on one, and top-right screw on the one right next to it, for instance.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-30-2021, 07:23 AM)TDKPE Wrote: It's so you can orient the cover with device in it any way you want.  The boxes are not usually symmetric, with different sized knockouts in different locations, so you can rotate the box any way you want and still mount the cover for whatever orientation you want.

It'll look better if you pick an orientation for the boxes based on conduit run entry/exit side and location and stick with it.  It looks funny with top-left screw on one, and top-right screw on the one right next to it, for instance.

I see, thanks! So in this case, having two empty holes in the cover is normal and expected.
Normal is a setting on the clothes dryer. Outside that........
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Similar, any known code issues (I'm not seeing any) with running the conduit along the floor up against the wall as in this photo? How about if there were a door threshold it passed just under as well?

Attached Files Image(s)

I’m not sure there actually are any such prohibitions, but if it’s laying on a basement or garage floor, it wouldn’t be hard to call it a wet environment, which changes the rules a bit.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-03-2021, 04:52 PM)TDKPE Wrote: I’m not sure there actually are any such prohibitions, but if it’s laying on a basement or garage floor, it wouldn’t be hard to call it a wet environment, which changes the rules a bit.

Agree with TDKPE, don't think any restriction.  In our schools we often have conduit on the floor near our mechanicals.

Only thing addressing it is the phrase, ... "protected from physical damage," that gives an AHJ some leeway of interpretation.  Could ask to bump it up to rigid.
(10-03-2021, 06:23 PM)srv52761 Wrote: Agree with TDKPE, don't think any restriction.  In our schools we often have conduit on the floor near our mechanicals.

Only thing addressing it is the phrase, ... "protected from physical damage," that gives an AHJ some leeway of interpretation.  Could ask to bump it up to rigid.

Thanks. I'll keep it on the wall about an inch above the concrete to prevent rust. 
It does hug the space below a door threshold. Maybe I'll bump the threshold out a bit to cover it up.
If I did want to swap in a short straight length of rigid, can that be mixed into an otherwise EMT run?
If it's in a garage, there may be a building code thing about wiring that close to the floor.  Just thinking out loud, but there is a reason water heaters in many/most areas are required to be raised off a garage floor.  Same thing with entry doors to the house from the garage.  They don't want gasoline fumes being ignited by a spark or flame, or in the case of entry doors, those fumes getting into the house. 

Something to think about at least.
Tom

Thanks again!

Another question -  when NMB (Romex) goes into a panel, it's clamped and held tight.. But with THHN and EMT, is there any sort of bushing or clamp needed beyond just the set screw connector that joins the tube with the panel?
(10-04-2021, 02:27 PM)mound Wrote: Another question -  when NMB (Romex) goes into a panel, it's clamped and held tight.. But with THHN and EMT, is there any sort of bushing or clamp needed beyond just the set screw connector that joins the tube with the panel?

In a word - nope. 

Just make sure the EMT connector nut gets a good bite through the paint to the panel metal, if using it for the ground.
Tom