EMT conduit 90* inside corner bend acceptable?
Is taking a corner with a simple 90* bend like this acceptable/considered neat or is there some code that says the conduit should always sit flush with the walls (I've seen some fancy bends that kinda take an "S" shape down and around the corner but that seems like overkill?)

Attached Files Image(s)

You can use a conduit body of the LL or LR configuration*, or an inside corner 90 degree pull elbow.  AFAIC, that 90 sweep is fine though. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Type-.../100188980

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-2-in.../100121305

*The common LB is an outside corner, though there are also outside corner pull elbows which are smaller.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-27-2021, 04:00 PM)TDKPE Wrote: You can use a conduit body of the LL or LR configuration*, or an inside corner 90 degree pull elbow.  AFAIC, that 90 sweep is fine though. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Type-.../100188980

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-2-in.../100121305

*The common LB is an outside corner, though there are also outside corner pull elbows which are smaller.

Thanks. Didn't know if that would be seen as sloppy given one could presumably hang something from it.
In my small amount of experience, those small pull elbows work best when they are thrown in the trash with solid wire. I thought I was really slick using them to hug the wall around a corner post in my pole barn style shop. It took us an hour to get a five wire pull through it. Bends or LBs are the way to go. LBs also make a nice halfway point for a pull in a complex line.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(09-27-2021, 04:19 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Bends or LBs are the way to go.  LBs also make a nice halfway point for a pull in a complex line.

Conduit bodies and pull points also make a greater number of bends in a run code conforming, as you’re limited to 360 degrees of bends without them, or between them when used.  

And yes, stranded is the only way to fly if you’re pulling through conduit.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-27-2021, 04:15 PM)mound Wrote: Thanks. Didn't know if that would be seen as sloppy given one could presumably hang something from it.

Heck, that’s one reason for using conduit.  If it was cable, like NM, you’d have to use a runner of some sort under a certain gauge (6-gauge maybe?) to support it so you can’t hang anything from it.  Look around the supermarket at the conduit supplying the freezers and such, and you’ll see lots of exposed horizontal runs.  As long as it’s properly supported, no worries.
Tom

"Conduit bodies and pull points also make a greater number of bends in a run code conforming, as you’re limited to 360 degrees of bends without them, or between them when used."

That too. I couldn't remember tif that was code or rule of thumb.

"And yes, stranded is the only way to fly if you’re pulling through conduit."

I've seen arguments for both. With solid, you can usually push wire through a lot of runs. But Im just an amateur.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
speaking of "neatness"..

I just realized several of my 4x4 boxes are welded, square corners rather than the rounded/drawn corners like all my covers.. Is there a functional difference or just rounded/smooth over sharp?
(09-29-2021, 12:36 PM)mound Wrote: speaking of "neatness"..

I just realized several of my 4x4 boxes are welded, square corners rather than the rounded/drawn corners like all my covers.. Is there a functional difference or just rounded/smooth over sharp?

Look at the way the devices mount.  Normally the square corner ones the devices mount to the box, on the rounded corner ones the devices mount to the cover.   Normally the rounded corner ones are for surface mounting and the covers are rounded also , they are the same size as the box not oversize as a normal wall plate.  Roly
(09-29-2021, 06:34 PM)Roly Wrote: Look at the way the devices mount.  Normally the square corner ones the devices mount to the box, on the rounded corner ones the devices mount to the cover.   Normally the rounded corner ones are for surface mounting and the covers are rounded also , they are the same size as the box not oversize as a normal wall plate.  Roly

Got it. Thanks!
Another aside, the rounded covers have screw holes in all 4 corners, but the boxes only in 2 corners. Why is this? Won't this mean two empty screw holes on the covers?