Sargent answer to Stanley No. 65 block plane
I picked up a rusty example of the Sargent No. 5607 low-angle, knuckle-joint-cap (sort of) block plane - Sargent's answer to the Stanley No. 65 block plane.  It's Craftsman-badged, but clearly made by Sargent; like the below, but with more rust.  Descriptive information here.

I already own a No. 65, and I don't own much shop space.  Does the Sargent plane have any virtues that would cause me to keep it, or shall I move it along?

Attached Files Image(s)

I'd keep it, its a very worthy plane, and doesn't take up much space; always good to have another sharp low angle block around.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-28-2021, 02:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: I'd keep it, its a very worthy plane, and doesn't take up much space; always good to have another sharp low angle block around.....

I generally agree with Admiral..it is a good plane...Some of the ones I have had shared the same problem...the arched lever cap had "stacked"..became weaker and did not hold the blade as securely as when new...But it was easy to "fix" by clamping it in a vise and "re-arching" it a little..

One can never have "too many" block planes.......
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

It may wind up being my older son's plane - thus keeping it in the family at least.

Sounds like it's definitely worth the 25 cents I paid for it, though.
I have several versions of the Stanley 65 and a Craftsman, like yours. The Sears knuckle cap looks a bit odd, compared to Stanley's, but I find it much more comfortable!

Definitely keep and use.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have owned both the Stanleys #65 and #18 in knuckle caps. Both were too wide to hold comfortably, and I have hands on the larger size. I also find the knuckle cap fiddly when adjusting the blade extension. Give me the #60 1/2 any time for both width and adjustment.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-29-2021, 08:13 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have owned both the Stanleys #65 and #18 in knuckle caps. Both were too wide to hold comfortably, and I have hands on the larger size. I also find the knuckle cap fiddly when adjusting the blade extension. Give me the #60 1/2 any time for both width and adjustment.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Funny how things change...Ten years ago the #65 was hotter than a two-dollar pistol...in very high demand, bringing outrageous prices...I thought then {and still do} that it was the most comfortable block plane ever made..the low angle version was very scarce and desirable.
Big Grin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset