plywood covered shop wall -which material best?
OSB in my shop too. I sprayed 1st coat then hung it with 8d coil ring nails, just like the exterior. I filled the nail holes and smoothed the texture a little with compound using a 14" pan knife  I rolled 2nd coat after the sheets were up and at first glance you don't notice it's OSB.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I did all of the ceiling and walls with 7/16th inch osb. 2 coats of white paint. I have been very happy with it. Yes heavy things should hit studs . I used french cleats where possible. All wiring is surface mount conduit. Could put the conduit clamps any where. In this shop for about 6 years and the last one for over 25. Never regrettd the decision in either.
To me 1/4" Pegboard is your best friend. There are hooks for anything and everything. You could also just screw a board anywhere and hang things from it and still have options of the holes. That is what I would do.
John T.
I used OSB and pegboard. I still haven't painted it, after 25 years...

Don't move in till you paint.....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used 1/2 exterior grade plywood and no paint.  It cost more that drywall but I really love being able to attach things anywhere.  For cabinets I still go into the studs - just in case.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.