Cutting out the alphabet
Kydex is the only thing I can think of.  It is easily formed when heated. It is the stuff they use for formed holsters and it is the stuff they use for airline interior panels.   There are many videos online on how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUVhAKXm254
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You're thinking too permanent.
Laugh  It's a stage prop, not a children's toy.

Spray adhesive to bond strips of poster board together for the outline.  Check the craft stores for something thicker yet pliable.  

Which letters are you using?  What font?  Different fonts will have different challenges in outlining.

Good luck and have fun!!!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-30-2021, 11:50 AM)ed kerns Wrote: That's a pretty impressive illustration you have there! Yes, that is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I think I'd like the outer edge to be maybe 3" in thickness. Will a typical cnc cut that thick? I know of a couple of hobbyist guys nearby that have them. Maybe I'm underestimating the capability?

Some can cut that deep. But what I'd probably do is set up and cut layers and glue them up.

Edit to add, the rendering was done in Fusion 360 and took about 5 minutes to draw and maybe another 2 minutes to generate the rendering locally at high-resolution (which of course I have to knock way down so the graphics file is small enough for the WN forum to accept). 

Learning to use a "modern" 3D CAD software package has been a HUGE help both at work and in woodworking. I've never been very good at visualizing or sketching in 3D but this makes it pretty easy.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
search you tube for “ask this old house letters”. Jimmy Derista did exactly what you are talking about

(10-04-2021, 06:29 PM)goaliedad Wrote: search you tube for “ask this old house letters”. Jimmy Derista did exactly what you are talking about

Really!? I will definitely check that out. Most of what I've seen on Youtube has been of styrofoam or poster board. The stuff that shows wood is very hard to watch for a woodworker. Thank you.
EDIT to say thanks again. That was the best YouTube video on the subject I've seen!
(09-30-2021, 05:17 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Some can cut that deep. But what I'd probably do is set up and cut layers and glue them up.

Edit to add, the rendering was done in Fusion 360 and took about 5 minutes to draw and maybe another 2 minutes to generate the rendering locally at high-resolution (which of course I have to knock way down so the graphics file is small enough for the WN forum to accept). 

Learning to use a "modern" 3D CAD software package has been a HUGE help both at work and in woodworking. I've never been very good at visualizing or sketching in 3D but this makes it pretty easy.
Thanks Rob. I'm a recently retired guy and learning some drawing program(s) is on my to-do list. I admire the talent.
(09-30-2021, 04:55 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: You're thinking too permanent.
Laugh  It's a stage prop, not a children's toy.

Spray adhesive to bond strips of poster board together for the outline.  Check the craft stores for something thicker yet pliable.  

Which letters are you using?  What font?  Different fonts will have different challenges in outlining.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I've got a nagging feeling that you're right. It goes against my nature to build 'temporary' stuff, but I guess that is pretty much the definition of stage props. All it has to do is hang there and look good from 20 paces.
(09-30-2021, 02:25 PM)Cooler Wrote: Kydex is the only thing I can think of.  It is easily formed when heated. It is the stuff they use for formed holsters and it is the stuff they use for airline interior panels.   There are many videos online on how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUVhAKXm254

I like that stuff! I've used it a time or two, and it would work, but probably too pricey for the amount I'd need for this project. Thank you.
(10-07-2021, 08:54 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I've got a nagging feeling that you're right. It goes against my nature to build 'temporary' stuff, but I guess that is pretty much the definition of stage props. All it has to do is hang there and look good from 20 paces.

I know how you feel.  LOML says I won't build something out of 2x4's if I can use a 2x6 
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)