Wood body planes
I am looking to add to my plane collection.  I really like the look of wood body planes.  I would like to find at least one to just use for decoration purposes on the mantle but would like to find one that is usable.  I see them listed on Ebay but want to know where should I look to find a working wood body plane?
A carpenter's house is never done.
Really? Ebay Germany
Search for
Ulmia, ECE, Steiner or Famos (Maker)
Hobel (plane)
Schlichthobel (Short like a smotther but single bladed for Coarse work after scrubbing)
Raubank (Jointer)
Doppelhobel (Kind of coarse Smoother)
Putzhobel (Smoother)
I'll second Pedder on Ulmia and ECE planes, which are both generally available in the US. You will mostly see ECE (E.C. Emmerich)
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just buy one on eBay. Look for a plane with a complete, unbroken tote. The long ones are very useful and more decorative in my opinion. Keep looking and you will find whatever you want for almost any price.
I recommend Steve Voigt's planes for serious work. Especially the jack plane and the trying plane.

http://www.voigtplanes.com/
Steve Knight hand planes were pretty nice and affordable.
Occasionally, you can still find one.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(10-02-2021, 05:46 PM)Pedder Wrote: Really? Ebay Germany
Search for 
Ulmia, ECE, Steiner or Famos (Maker)
Hobel (plane)
Schlichthobel (Short like a smotther but single bladed for Coarse work after scrubbing)
Raubank (Jointer)
Doppelhobel (Kind of coarse Smoother)
Putzhobel (Smoother)

This...

I don't like using them personally as I like a heavier metal plane...BUT the continental/German ones are much more comfortable to use since they give a nice place for your leading hand to register. The transitional stanley planes are nice too for similar reasons.
Personally the coffin smoother and razee types etc are not good to use.

Place a WTB (wanted to buy) ad in the swap and sell and see what you get.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(10-02-2021, 08:52 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Just buy one on eBay. Look for a plane with a complete, unbroken tote. The long ones are very useful and more decorative in my opinion. Keep looking and you will find whatever you want for almost any price.

I agree on the decorative aspect.  I was at first thinking of getting a long one or two or a collection to display inside my home.

I was just at a home loaned us for a weekend owned by an architect firm and there was a Japanese plane on a shelf as a show piece.  It got me looking at looking at the different wooden body planes and I like the long jointer ones and the coffin planes.  As nice as they may look in the house, it would be nice if they were usable also.  I already have a few metal ones in sizes # 4, 5 and 7.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Hit a couple of antique stores. You can hold them and see if there are any missing parts. Negotiate a reasonable price. Estate sales of old farms almost always have old hand tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If you just want one for your mantle, get an antique one and you can fix it up with little risk. If you want one that works flawlessly AND looks great, go with Steve Voigt as Warren says.

Kevin