Wood body planes
Hmmmm...have 3 that are the "Trans" style....however..

And this one is more of a joinery style plane....

IF you happen to look at the top of the Plane Till,,,there is a 20" long jointer plane.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-04-2021, 06:26 AM)AHill Wrote: Hit a couple of antique stores.  You can hold them and see if there are any missing parts.  Negotiate a reasonable price.  Estate sales of old farms almost always have old hand tools.
I live in a tourist town, with only high end boutiques.  If there is any antiques it will be ridiculously expensive.  Next time I travel I will start shopping antique stores.  I have a plan I picked up in the past from an antique store.

(10-04-2021, 06:48 AM)kwadams Wrote: If you just want one for your mantle, get an antique one and you can fix it up with little risk. If you want one that works flawlessly AND looks great, go with Steve Voigt as Warren says.

Kevin

Any suggestion on how to chose an antique?  

Would fixing it up to work take away the patina or wood finish?  If I got a few wood block planes to work good enough to finish my work bench, then retire them to the mantle. that would be fun.
A carpenter's house is never done.
check these out, quality stuff: https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7365321
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-04-2021, 12:42 PM)photobug Wrote: I live in a tourist town, with only high end boutiques.  If there is any antiques it will be ridiculously expensive.  Next time I travel I will start shopping antique stores.  I have a plan I picked up in the past from an antique store.

Any suggestion on how to chose an antique?  

Would fixing it up to work take away the patina or wood finish?  If I got a few wood block planes to work good enough to finish my work bench, then retire them to the mantle. that would be fun.

Check to see if all the parts are there.  Typical missing parts include the wedge or blade.  If you need to sand the sole to flatten it, there's no lost value.  The value as a decoration is far less than the value as a user.  Losing any patina getting it to a usable state is OK.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think all you need to do is sharpen an old woody to make it useful. Make it no more complicated than that. I have planes that look like they came from the firewood pile that perform admirably or better than that. I used to wipe them down with a rag and a little WD-40. Can take a while to get the blades sharpened properly if they are badly out of flat. But if you have other hand planes you probably know that and what to do.
There are also several groups on face book dedicating to buying/selling hand tools.
Thanks Adam...l have a Stanley transitional that was my grandfathers, looks like a no. 4 equivalent.
Think l'll wax the sole, clean and sharpen the iron and see what happens.
I've long wondered what to do to make it useable.

Ed
(10-04-2021, 02:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: check these out, quality stuff:  https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7365321

Wow those are nice.  Too nice.  If I did not have so many other expensive hobbies maybe I could use something like that as a display piece on the mantle.

I see a lot of these The old beautiful planes being sold in the UK.  Does anyone know if there is a Scottish manufacturer of quality planes?  My mom was born outside of Glasgow and my grandparents accent was so thick I had to translate for my friends when they spoke.  My grandpa was a machines and pretty handy all around guy.  If I have any innate woodworking skills they come from him.

Anyway, if I were to buy some old wood body planes, having them come from Scotland would be a big bonus.
Memory is a little fuzzy this morning, but I think Mathieson made many many planes in Glasgow. I wield think you could find them on eBay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
(10-06-2021, 07:06 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Memory is a little fuzzy this morning, but I think Mathieson made many many planes in Glasgow. I wield think you could find them on eBay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct, 'Mathieson and Sons' are made in Glasgow.  

When I read about the history of the Mathieson company, I read the companies growth was based around the boat building industry on the Firth of Clyde.  As a young man, my Grandpa worked in the boat building industry on the Firth of Clyde.  Since he was a machinest or iron worker, I doubt he used Mathieson Tools.  Still a very cool legacy and I am excited to pick up a few tools from Mathieson.  They are plentiful in the UK but shipping often costs more than the purchase price. a bit harder to find in the US.  The search begins.