Which thinset?
I am going to install subway tile in my shower.  I've never tiled before but the only thing that is intimidating to me is choosing the correct thinset.  The only thing I can't figure out is which thinset to use.  I'm going over Redguard and will be using Mapei Keracolor for the grout.  I think I'd prefer to us a Mapei product from Lowes but I'm buying the tile from HD since their tile seems to have a slightly better glaze.
I know I can simply ask the guy in the tile department but I don't really trust the salespeople...I've heard them in other department give terrible advice to homeowners that probably shouldn't be doing their own work anyway.
I am also a novice (it is messy but not particularly challenging work). 

When I went to Lowes the carton specified which thinset to use and the minimum grout width.  I went with the manufacturer's specifications. 

I did see that some subway tiles have bumps on the edges that automatically space the grout lines.  Others require that you use spacers. 

I finished tiling the floor, but have not started on the shower surround.  I would also be interested in what the response to your question is.

I would note that I have a good scoring tile cutter and a cheap tile saw.  The scoring and snapping is both faster and cleaner.  I avoid the saw whenever possible.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Hmm..shouldn’t be hard. Standard subway tile is not a demanding application like glass, stone or large format tile.

I’d use a latex modified like Versabond (Custom Building Products)

You’ll have to wait longer before grouting vs unmodified but you get better adhesion and a longer open time.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Second vote for Versabond. It works well. It’s lightly modified, so a lot of the pros feel comfy using it even where unmodified is specified. There are some other thinsets i really like, but not available at HD or Lowes.

No matter what your choice, don’t get anything premixed. You should be buying a bag of powder that you mix yourself.

You may need a different, specialized thinset if you’re using glass tiles (such as for an accent). Especially if they’re partly clear. But you didn’t mention planning to use anything like that.

Check out the John Bridge forum too. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people there that specialize in tile work.

Tyler
I would note that I burned out the motor on an old electric drill while mixing thinset.  I ended up buying a $60.00 "mixing" drill from Harbor Freight.  It only spins at 600 rpm max, but does not struggle with the thinset. 

(I also used it for the grout.  There does not seem a good way to mix this manually.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-Ceramic-5...ar/3743805

-or-

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAPEI-UltraFlex...1000957306
+1 on the John Bridge forum. Plenty of pros there giving great advice.

And design ideas also.
I also like the modified Versabond in a shower. I like all their products.. Have used others, it works easily and is consistent from bag to bag.

I'd definitely use a grout sealer in a shower.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Versabond, works great I've used a lot. But be very very careful with RedGuard it works if you prep right. I've seen it put on look great & fail due to bad prep not the product. Trick is make sure there is absolutely no dust on substrate wipe it clean with water a few times than put on a prime coat of RG & let it dry than final coat of RG. The prime coat is just RG thined with water go about 1 part RG 4 part water & roll it on after ALL dust is removed.
No one asked, but I'm a big fan of epoxy grout. A bit more expensive, more work to install (not horrible), and you need to follow the installation instructions carefully, but it's bulletproof and waterproof once done. Probably not for everyone, but again, I'm a fan. There are lots of instructions and helpful hints on the John Bridge forum.

Tyler