Small ROund Cuting Board
It has been a few years, but the last time that David Ellsworth was the guest turner at our local club, he mentioned that he was starting to get calls from museums about some of his older segmented pieces. He used to use CA to glue-up his segmented blanks. Even in fairly well climate-controlled conditions, the CA glue started to crystallize and some of the pieces were coming loose. He had stopped using CA glue for segmented turning but he was having to deal with how to repair some of his older pieces.

FWIW, he did not have anything to say against using CA for gluing tubes into solid pen blanks, but I think that some of our pen turners started to migrate toward using epoxy rather than CA after that meeting.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-07-2021, 06:29 PM)iclark Wrote: It has been a few years, but the last time that David Ellsworth was the guest turner at our local club, he mentioned that he was starting to get calls from museums about some of his older segmented pieces. He used to use CA to glue-up his segmented blanks. Even in fairly well climate-controlled conditions, the CA glue started to crystallize and some of the pieces were coming loose. He had stopped using CA glue for segmented turning but he was having to deal with how to repair some of his older pieces.

FWIW, he did not have anything to say against using CA for gluing tubes into solid pen blanks, but I think that some of our pen turners started to migrate toward using epoxy rather than CA after that meeting.

Yes,epoxy to glue in pen tubes.Now I manly use CA to do a finish on pens.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member