Routing epoxy with mica powder?
I'm making something for fun where I'm filling in some decent sized cracks with epoxy mixed with a colored mica powder (seems like there are tons of versions of this stuff). I'd love to use a router to flatten some of the piece, which would mean going through the epoxy areas.

Would you be worried about the mica powder damaging a carbide router bit or dulling it prematurely? I'm not worried about the mica itself, as that's soft, but the carton states that it also contains titanium dioxide and iron oxide. My understanding is that those are closer to mohs hardness of 6.

Thanks,
Tyler
Does the carton give any indication what form the titanium dioxide or iron oxide are?

If they are fine powders to prevent the mica flakes from clumping, then my guess is that they will not have much of a dulling affect on carbide.

That is a guess, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I flattened an entire coffee table, about half of which was filled epoxy. Zero issues with cutting the epoxy or dulling the bit.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
You can spend a lot of time trying to figure out if the mica is a problem, and still not really know. I'd be inclined to take a less expensive bit and go ahead and flatten it out....consider it the cost of the project.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The entire mica powder, including the titanium dioxide and iron oxide, are very fine powders. It would make sense that they're included as anti clumping agents.

shoottmx - did you flatten a coffee table with mica powder in the epoxy? I'm not worried about the epoxy itself.

Fred - I'm tempted to just try. I don't have much in the way of throw-away router bits, but think I have one that would fit the bill. Also, this project is just a for-fun test, not a big one that I'm heavily invested in. So I hesitate to ruin a bit for something of low importance.

I'll probably just give it a shot.

Tyler
I did flatten an entire coffee table, thinking more about it most of the cutting was done on clear epoxy. Maybe 10% of the surface had mica powder. I used a cheapo spoilboard bit from Amazoo. Like this one with cutters that can be rotated. It was still sharp afterward.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone