HVLP Gun
(10-13-2021, 06:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The cheap HF purple gun works great for spraying low viscosity products, both waterborne and solvent.  They are so cheap that you can justify replacing them when the seals fail in a couple of years of regular use.  And here's more reason to try one - you can convert any gun to a pressure cup cup.  Just buy the correct adapter and mount a pressurized 3M PPS cup on it and a regulator to pressurize it.  Suddenly, that cheap HF gun has amazing versatility.  

John

John,

So you would mount the pps pressure cup on top rather the bottom? Do you use some sort of bypass regulator inline ? I did find a CA Technologies one but it was over $100. If you use a standard regulator can you mount it in the air inlet covered with the screw cap where air for the gun can be adjusted by hand? There is no separate fitting for this since it is a gravity gun. 

Woody
(10-13-2021, 10:43 PM)woodydixon Wrote: John,

So you would mount the pps pressure cup on top rather the bottom? Do you use some sort of bypass regulator inline ? I did find a CA Technologies one but it was over $100. If you use a standard regulator can you mount it in the air inlet covered with the screw cap where air for the gun can be adjusted by hand? There is no separate fitting for this since it is a gravity gun. 

Woody

Yes, on a gravity feed gun you would mount the PPS H/O cup on top, using an adapter to make the transition. You can look up the correct adapter on 3M's website.  

You can use an inline, bypass regulator like on my Qualspray AM-6008 gun, or you can use a standard, low pressure regulator, mount it on the wall nearby, and run a little hose to the cup, tying it to the gun air supply hose to make it a little more convenient.  In either case, the air going to the cup is completely separate from the gun inlet air.

Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing probably has the adapter and bypass regulator you would need.  

John