Tuck pointing concrete block
the basement wall holding up the front porch has always had a cracked mortar line.  I think they might have cracked it when they poured the porch floor, because it's pushed into the dirt. It's almost fully buried except the top foot or so.   It has been stable for the last 27 years, but I think water occasionally gets in through the crack.

Is there anything wrong with tuck pointing it?  Any tips?
(10-07-2021, 09:13 PM)EricU Wrote: the basement wall holding up the front porch has always had a cracked mortar line.  I think they might have cracked it when they poured the porch floor, because it's pushed into the dirt. It's almost fully buried except the top foot or so.   It has been stable for the last 27 years, but I think water occasionally gets in through the crack.

Is there anything wrong with tuck pointing it?  Any tips?

Suggest getting a cheap angle grinder (HF) with a masonry wheel or two for it.  The dust will ruin the bearings in a normal angle grinder.  They make grinders for this use if you plan on a lot more work.   And a dust mask for you.   Grind out at least a 1/2" of old mortar, clean out the dist from the slot and wet.    Put the mortar in and point as you want.
 If you get a lot of mortar slopped around clean off with muratic acid the next day.     Roly
What kind of mortar should be used? I also have a couple that have needed it for many years. They are on the "to do list"
(10-08-2021, 08:53 PM)toolmiser Wrote: What kind of mortar should be used?  I also have a couple that have needed it for many years.  They are on the "to do list"

Hydraulic cement.
WoodNET... the new safespace
How wide is the crack?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-13-2021, 08:39 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: How wide is the crack?

So I went out to take a picture and found out why we had water intrusion through the crack -- it's buried now. Fortunately it doesn't happen often, but we had some really heavy rains this summer. At one point I had moved the dirt away from the wall, but we had someone clear some brush from that area and they took it upon themselves to move some dirt.  I just didn't realize how much.  I guess I have to do some digging.
They also sell a motor repair mix in a caulking tube at the home centers that makes it quick and easy to fill in the occasional crack.