Temporary legs for extended pedestal table
So I recently got a pedestal dining table that can extend...a lot.  Now while this isn't a scenario we will use often, I can see occasions where this might be helpful.  Our prior table did this also (but not as far), and when all the leaves were in it the table was really tippy.  I figured putting some auxiliary legs under the extended parts would significantly help with this.  So I need to build two legs (one for each side), but I want to be able to easily break them down and store them in a closet.  The table has an apron, so the legs would need to be extendable, so I can put under the table, then extend to full length under the table. 

I'm trying to figure out how to do this.  I don't need something super fancy, but functional. 

My first thought after poking around online was something like this: link

Easy to extend, I can fine tune the height with the adjustment on the bottom of the leg.  And for the folding bit at the top I could attach a piece of wood with a non-slip material on top and have that wedge underneath the table surface.  And if I want I could always attach two legs to the piece of wood if I wanted some additional lateral stability.

Thoughts?  Or does anyone have another easy way to do this?

Mark

You might be able to adapt the less formal solution I used for my table saw outfeed that can fold down. I made two legs that simply fit into boxes built into the bottom of the table. One side of the boxes is slanted, so the legs can tilt into position, and then be locked with a wedge. Simple, solid, and from above you don't see it.
Given the criteria, I think your plan is as good as any. I wondered about someone getting scratched on the folding leg when it's tucked away, but maybe it only protrudes a couple of inches.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I wasn't actually planning on attaching it to the table, as I don't think there would be room (leaves store under the top). Basically just have a board on top that would stay in place via friction. Maybe I could swap the twisty part at the bottom with something wider/more stable also.

Ahhh, gotcha. Certainly worth a try.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Got any photos of the table in the normal and extended position?

John
I have a table like that, In my case I do not have the leaves.  It has 2 sets of legs that tuck up underneath. The design is a board about 3" wide with a leg attached to each end  total of 4 Legs. They cross in the middle offset. A small locking mechanism holds them open.
I'll try getting a photo up, but it might be a few days.

And Rudedan60, a scissor mechanism is an excellent idea. That might work well.

Mark

I would probably just make a 1" diameter hole in a piece of 1-1/2" stock and glue that to the underside of the table.  I would get a dowel, ad a crutch tip and cut it to the correct length.  When needed, insert the dowel in the hole.  It will probably require one person to lift the side of the table while the second person inserts the dowel. 

The crutch tips are two for $6.00 at CVS.  I would buy the tips first and choose the dowel diameter based on what size tips are available.  The 7/8" size is supposed to fit up to 1¼" tubing.

Poplar dowels are $5.00 each at Lowes.  Plus paint or stain.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.