Bandsaw Rebuild or Trash
Years ago I picked up a 14" band saw that I believe is a Delta clone.

The pieces (pot metal?) began falling apart or were just rusty. Basically, the band saw needs everything in the area the blade cuts and I'm not sure if a compatible "kit" is even available.

I was wondering if a project like this is even worth it or should I concentrate on getting a new (complete) band saw?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Darren,  a few photos might help.  A bandsaw is a frame with two wheels, a motor, and a table .  If they are all in good shape, and all you need are the guides, they should not be that hard to find, especially if it is a Delta clone. Another option is to see what you can find used locally and what that would cost.
Maitias Wendel made a bandsaw out of wood by hand.  Some of the stuff he fabricated might fit the bill for your missing parts.
It may be a Harbor Freight (type) clone. If it is, Delta parts(company or aftermarket) parts will fit.

HF simply recast all the parts of a Delta model and sold the result much more cheaply than Delta.

Several years ago(15+), HF had a sale on their 14" bandsaw and about 50 or so members here bought theirs. Most are probably still using them(with possibly a change of motors(the weak spot).

A lot of them bought Delta produced risers, which bolted in place with no modification.
I just attempted to upload 5 pics. If you don't see them can you tell me what the normal protocol is for displaying images here on this forum? (I tried "Click File" and then "Add Attachment").

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
(10-16-2021, 11:45 AM)D_Harris Wrote: I just attempted to upload 5 pics. If you don't see them can you tell me what the normal protocol is for displaying images here on this forum? (I tried "Click File" and then "Add Attachment").

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

You need to upload the image files as you describe, then for each image in the list below your text you click on the "insert into post" button.

To check if it worked, try the preview button.

To take the image back out of the post, you need to click the "remove" button, as simply deleting the marker in the text doesn't do it.  Actually, the delete button does not seem to work either, so I can't delete the picture of the dirty old vise.

Attached Files Image(s)

Odd. All I get are two buttons that say "Choose File" and "Add Attachment".

The images do not appear, and there is no "Insert into Post" button.

This site has gotten buggy.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Here's what I've got on those crappy Asian Delta wannabees.
The gray trunnion bracket is aluminum.  The Delta bracket (from a machine to be restored) is cast iron. 
the Delta lower guide system is significantly heavier.
This particular Asian band saw had a peel-and-stick Craftsman name on it.

Ok. Apparently this website wasn't fully displayed. At the very bottom I clicked "Display Full version".and it changed.the look.

So I'm trying again. There are still subtle things you have to do to get the images posted.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-18-2021, 09:20 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Here's what I've got on those crappy Asian Delta wannabees.
The gray trunnion bracket is aluminum.  The Delta bracket (from a machine to be restored) is cast iron. 
the Delta lower guide system is significantly heavier.
This particular Asian band saw had a peel-and-stick Craftsman name on it.

The trunnion holder of this one is cast iron also.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Attached Files Image(s)