Bandsaw Rebuild or Trash
(10-19-2021, 03:05 PM)D_Harris Wrote: The trunnion holder of this one is cast iron also.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren,  if you are missing the motor, the table, and have broken guides,  I would put my energy into finding something used that is in better shape, or buying new.
(10-22-2021, 05:54 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Darren,  if you are missing the motor, the table, and have broken guides,  I would put my energy into finding something used that is in better shape, or buying new.

I do have a motor and I guess a table can be made, but it seems like you are probably right. 

I just don't like having to throw away never before used equipment. Especially if someone might be able to make use of it.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten New York.
I agree, I would scrap it.
I had one of those that I bought years ago at Hobby Lobby.

If you insist in trying to rehab it, this saw from Harbor Freight is a close match.  HF does offer a list of replacement parts.

I've also bought parts from similar saws sold by Grizzly, but they no longer sell anything of that class. They might still sell the parts, but I wouldn't be able to steer you to them.  I did find the Grizzly parts a higher quality than the HF, for what it's worth.

Saying all that, my strong recommendation is not to attempt to restore/rehab it.  Firstly, restoration can be a challenge, particularly when replacing the bandsaw tires, and alignment can be problematic. If you have restored/rehabbed a bandsaw in the past, it probably wouldn't be bad, but if this is your first time you  don't know what is good from bad when it comes time for setup. The one I had was very recalcitrant and had to be adjusted every time I used. it. You will rapidly get to the juncture that you won't use it.
chris
That looks very much like the HF saw. I would recommend you go on line and down load HF's manual for their 14" saw.  If the break down parts drawings look similar, go to an HF store and spend some time inspecting the saw to see if it looks like what you have, and if it seems to be a match, I'd rebuild the saw.    HF has pretty good product support so parts availability shouldn't be a problem, though the parts prices may be the make or brake issue.  If you don't have a band saw this may be an inexpensive way to get your saw up and running.  There are numerous posts on discussion boards, and Videos on Utube regarding band saw assembly, mods, and proper tuning of the saw. 

I bought HF's Delta clone in the early/mid 90s for about $150 less than the link above.  There were several other "Brand X's" of that saw during that era as well, and I suspect most, if not all of them came from the same factory.  I've purchased a couple replacement parts for the saw over the years. Early on, I installed a Grizzly riser assembly, and 3 horse motor so I could use it for re-sawing panels.  It has given me close to 30 years of good, dependable service.  PICS
Thanks.

It would be a nice project, but I do have a lot of projects, and I would rather give this away to someone who could use it.

I was at Harbor Freight yesterday, and I'm considering going back today to pick up a band saw that was used as a floor model. It probably has a couple of dents and little rust, but appears to be in good condition. (For $275).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

P.S.: I'm still having a lot of trouble posting pics I took and spent over an hour on this, only to get tumbnail size images to show up. This issue really needs to be fixed. (I couldn't even remove the images from the post, and therefore had to delete it and start over).

(10-23-2021, 09:29 AM)doobes Wrote: I've also bought parts from similar saws sold by Grizzly, but they no longer sell anything of that class. . . . .

They still make and sell Delta clones, a bit more pricey than HF, however.... 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly...dsaw/g0555  amazingly they are in stock tool....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Does anyone think that $275 is a reasonable price for this "open box" bandsaw?

P.S.: Can anyone elaborate on the "Proposition 65" Warning concerning this bandsaw? Are they referring to the bandsaw itself, or the wood/plastic you cut with it?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Ok. I picked up the saw for $189.97. ($206.83 with tax).

the motor works, and I now have it temporarily stored in my landlord's garage.

I just have to figure out what missing parts I need to replace. 
Big Grin

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual...P60564.pdf

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Think about the time and money it would take to just get it cutting. Might actually be cheaper to shoot it in the head.
9.5 fingers and 1 crippled