Lay thin brick over concrete walkway?
(10-11-2021, 09:24 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: We have a fairly blah concrete walkway that leads from our driveway to our blah front entrance which is a covered concrete porch.

All the concrete is in very good condition.  To dress it up, we want to cover the concrete with thin (1") brick.  We do get ice and snow in MD.  Anyone done this themselves or hired a pro?  Lessons learned?  Approximately how much per sqft?

Thanks
Paul

I just noticed you're in Central America...so yeah...I don't think you'll have to worry about snow clearing 
Laugh

I'd clean the existing concrete as best you can, and then use a construction adhesive to set the outside "solider" course.  Set the field, add polymeric sand and plate vibrate it in.  Water it and be done.  Price is going to be largely dependent on the pavers and the pattern in which you lay them.

If you want a pro's opinion...reach out to 2beast here...he's a wealth of knowledge.
We had an ugly concrete front porch at the old house. I put pavers over it, glued them down with landscape block adhesive. I don't like her color choice but I never do.. I just follow orders. I'm about to do it again at our new house and will be gluing them down over ugly and sloppily installed terracotta tile on our new front porch. I sweep in Polymeric Sand in the gaps between the pavers. Several different color and size choices.

These are the pavers "Patio on a pallet"

[Image: 34mXcun.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-12-2021, 08:41 PM)brnhornt Wrote: I just noticed you're in Central America...so yeah...I don't think you'll have to worry about snow clearing 
Laugh

We are but only temporarily.  Our house is in Maryland.

(10-12-2021, 08:38 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Just my two cents...but I have a paver walkway set in a running bond over an old concrete walkway.  Never had a problem walking my two stage blower over it.  My neighbor has a smaller one stage blower and his never has a problem with it either (when he does a good turn in the winter and gets to my walkway before I do.)

I laid interlocking pavers at our old MD house and clearing snow with a shovel wasn't really a problem, but what we're looking to do is laying a brick walkway with wider joint lines so I get that clearing snow could be a problem.  My wife is trying to rationalize that if it does snow, we'll direct people to a different entrance but she also doesn't do any of the snow clearing
Rolleyes)  I told her to stop looking at Pinterest.  That didn't go over well.
(10-13-2021, 08:34 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: We had an ugly concrete front porch at the old house. I put pavers over it, glued them down with landscape block adhesive. I don't like her color choice but I never do.. I just follow orders. I'm about to do it again at our new house and will be gluing them down over ugly and sloppily installed terracotta tile on our new front porch. I sweep in Polymeric Sand in the gaps between the pavers. Several different color and size choices.

These are the pavers "Patio on a pallet"

Our porch looks very similar to this.  The compromise might be to cover the concrete porch with thin brick and skip the walkway, or punt on the walkway now and possibly later rip it out for pavers.  How thick are those pavers?  Looks like 1 1/2" or thereabouts.

What's the max height for a step?  The porch is a small step up from the walkway so I think I'm still OK with a 1" brick and adhesive/mortar.  The height will then be reduced stepping into the house from the porch.  Does code treat that porch as a "step" so it has to fall within a certain interval like stair treads do even though the porch is ~6-8' deep?
Don't know about the laws where you are, but in WI. the rules apply. 8" maximum rise with a minimum 9" tread width.
(10-13-2021, 10:13 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: We are but only temporarily.  Our house is in Maryland.

I laid interlocking pavers at our old MD house and clearing snow with a shovel wasn't really a problem, but what we're looking to do is laying a brick walkway with wider joint lines so I get that clearing snow could be a problem.  My wife is trying to rationalize that if it does snow, we'll direct people to a different entrance but she also doesn't do any of the snow clearing
Rolleyes)  I told her to stop looking at Pinterest.  That didn't go over well.

Ah...gotcha.

But even with the wider joints...wouldn't you still just fill them with polymeric sand?
(10-13-2021, 10:29 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: Our porch looks very similar to this.  The compromise might be to cover the concrete porch with thin brick and skip the walkway, or punt on the walkway now and possibly later rip it out for pavers.  How thick are those pavers?  Looks like 1 1/2" or thereabouts.

What's the max height for a step?  The porch is a small step up from the walkway so I think I'm still OK with a 1" brick and adhesive/mortar.  The height will then be reduced stepping into the house from the porch.  Does code treat that porch as a "step" so it has to fall within a certain interval like stair treads do even though the porch is ~6-8' deep?

Yep, they're patio Pavers.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay