230 to 220/240 equivalence
(10-13-2021, 10:48 AM)TDKPE Wrote: This has been nagging my brain - it's possible it's a three-phase motor, which will have 4 blades (three hots and an equipment ground).  Plug would be either a 15-20P or a 15-30P, as a 5 hp three-phase only requires a 20A circuit at 240V.  That saw is available new with either a single-phase or a three-phase motor.

That, or it's a twistlock like BloomingtonMike has, or it's both twist-lock and three-phase.  If it's single-phase but with a twist-lock plug (L6-30P), it's an easy change to the straight blade equivalent (6-30P).

Edit: OR, it's a 30A dryer plug (NEMA 10-30P or 14-30P).  Or a 50A range plug (NEMA 10-50P or 14-50P).  Or something even more inappropriate.

You really need to tell us what the motor nameplate says, or post a picture of it.  What the manual says may or may not be relevant, as the motor could have been replaced, and the manual may cover both types of motors.  The motor nameplate will tell you everything you need to know.
Cool

That is the first thing I though of when I read 230V.  We had a lot of 230V 3 phase stuff in our old lab building.  

John
(10-13-2021, 03:39 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That is the first thing I though of when I read 230V.  We had a lot of 230V 3 phase stuff in our old lab building.  

John

Also my thought. There are also other 200-odd volt 3ph motors like 208v.

OP : how many ‘blades’ are there on the machine’s plug? 3? 4?

What does the motor data plate say? There should be a voltage and phase notation on the data plate (and current draw).

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Any time I come across a 30 amp, 4 pole twist lock (either plug or receptacle), I always verify if it's single or three phase. They are different configurations, but so similar that if either is slightly worn they can be mated together. 3 phase equipment on single phase, and single phase equipment on 3 phase will let the magic smoke out. If that's the worst thing that happens, you're lucky because that lesson could cost a lot more.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Eric, following along...did you get set up on the saw?? Just curious, especially about the 3 phase part.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Same here.  I’m a bit like Ben Afleck’s character in The Accountant in that I need to see something through or I get all wonky - and this is still hanging out there.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Photo 
Sorry to leave y'all hanging. Busy weekend bringing home the x31 and some other unexpected gifts from my friend. Here are the plate, the plug, and what the motor looks like.

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
And, this is the plug I have.

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
sorry, crappy resolution on the plate - trying again

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
So, the wall receptacle I posted above shows 20A. The current plug shows 15A.

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
That motor is single-phase, 220V (import), and just under 16A FLA.  Technically, you can run it on a 20A circuit.  2.2kW converts to 3 hp.

The receptacle is a L6-20R, meaning it's single-phase, 250V rated, 20A, grounded, and locking.  The plug you have is a NEMA 6-15R, meaning it's single-phase, 250V rated, 15A, grounded, but obviously not locking.  It's not the correct plug for the tool (the 15A part), and obviously won't fit the receptacle. 

You can simply change the plug to a NEMA L6-20P and be done with it, if you want to stay with locking plugs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-A...89-_-N&

https://www.amazon.com/L6-20P-Plug-NEMA-...B004XHWN60

But I thought you said you had 30A circuits for your 240V tools.  Never mind - I must have been thinking of another thread.
Laugh

Edit: Upon rereading this thread, I got the idea of 30A from - wait for it - me.  I looked up the saw, and the web site only shows 5 hp single- or three-phase as the current offering, which normally requires 30A or greater. 
Slap
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"