Stain application Problem
I'm using Saman wood stain on a table I'm refinishing. The stain went on nicely on the lags & aprons but I had trouble getting a smooth coat on the tops. I had to sand the top again down to the wood surface and applied the stain again. But I noticed a spot that a touch up in the center of the top. Now that spot sticks out like a sore thumb (no pun intended
Big Grin). Should I lightly sand that spot with 400 grit or do I have to I have sand to the whole top again?

Fortunately the venner is 1/8 thick. 

Jim
Jim
Closely examine the table top and determine if it is solid wood or veneer. I'm guessing that it is veneer and you have sanded through it in that spot. If I'm correct, you have no alternative but to either re-veneer it or apply some type of opaque finish.
If the table top is, in fact, solid wood, then you appear to have an area that is not absorbing the stain the same as the rest for some reason. Maybe using a gel stain will improve matters.
If you did sand through the veneer, while Willyou's approach is correct, another option is to try to fix it with some toner .   When we make mistakes, we see them as very obvious, but often, others would hardly notice it.   A photo may not show it clearly, but if it does,  post it and we may be able to offer some suggestions.
(10-13-2021, 10:36 AM)Willyou Wrote: Closely examine the table top and determine if it is solid wood or veneer. I'm guessing that it is veneer and you have sanded through it in that spot. If I'm correct, you have no alternative but to either re-veneer it or apply some type of opaque finish.
If the table top is, in fact, solid wood, then you appear to have an area that is not absorbing the stain the same as the rest for some reason. Maybe using a gel stain will improve matters.

It is veneer but to my surprise the veneer is 1/8 thick. It was made in the mid 1940's.
Yes
Jim
(10-13-2021, 10:36 AM)Willyou Wrote: Closely examine the table top and determine if it is solid wood or veneer. I'm guessing that it is veneer and you have sanded through it in that spot. If I'm correct, you have no alternative but to either re-veneer it or apply some type of opaque finish.

Thanks. This the case where the stain did not absorb at the same rate. But after walking away & let it sit overnight the next morning it was fine. 

That's why I'm not a Dr. I have no patience. 
Big Grin
Jim