Work bench thickness is 3" too much?
(10-17-2021, 03:01 PM)photobug Wrote: I did not even think about it but the wood has spent the last few years in the crawl space and have been back in the shop for a few weeks now.  The home and shop get heated in winter, other than that no climate controlled.  I just looked up Wyoming and it is the 3rd lowest relative humidity state behind Utah and Arizona.   I would think garage, shop, and crawlspace are all the same humidity, the shop is the garage.

Around here, even with a vapor barrier, the crawl space tends to have significantly higher humidity than the shop/garage.

Since you are in the WY ski areas, I have no idea how your local humidity compares to the rest of the state.

If you want to check, leaving a humidity gauge in the crawlspace overnight could give you valuable info.

If there is a significant humidity difference between the crawl space and the shop, then pulling the wood out and stickering it in the shop while it waits for processing (and then, again, as you prep it and before you do the glue-up) would not hurt and might have huge positive dividends.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-18-2021, 05:07 PM)iclark Wrote: Around here, even with a vapor barrier, the crawl space tends to have significantly higher humidity than the shop/garage.

Since you are in the WY ski areas, I have no idea how your local humidity compares to the rest of the state.

If you want to check, leaving a humidity gauge in the crawlspace overnight could give you valuable info.

If there is a significant humidity difference between the crawl space and the shop, then pulling the wood out and stickering it in the shop while it waits for processing (and then, again, as you prep it and before you do the glue-up) would not hurt and might have huge positive dividends.

The garage and crawl space are only separated by a plywood hatch which is usually left open except in winter, the air circulates between the two.  I do have a temp station with external sensors.  It does make sense for me to get some more external sensors to put in the garage and crawl space.  The ones left outside seldom last more than one winter.

The reason the boards were in the crawl space was it was the only place to store properly big boards this size, they are now stored vertically in the garage.
A carpenter's house is never done.