Auction buy… What kind of wood do you think this is?
I’m new to this forum, actually I have never posted to any forum before. Anyhow, I just bought this lot of wood from an online auction which was listing for an estate sale close to my house. I was hoping to get some idea of what kind of lumber this is. I know it’s not really a reasonable question being that the picture they had posted is poor quality but I figured I’d give it a shot anyways.

Attached Files Image(s)

Once you pick it up, post a good pic of the end grain and one of a closer pic of one of the knots.

If you can put a scale in the pic of the end grain, that might help as well.

Hopefully, that is the wood's natural color and not a dye job.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-14-2021, 10:21 PM)iclark Wrote: Once you pick it up, post a good pic of the end grain and one of a closer pic of one of the knots.

If you can put a scale in the pic of the end grain, that might help as well.

Hopefully, that is the wood's natural color and not a dye job.

I will post more pictures when I pick it all up on Sunday. Thanks
I ended up winning this lot also. Got both lots for a total of 5.40. The only problem is I will only be using maybe an 1/8 of what’s there and I rent a studio so I don’t know what to do with the rest of it.

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-14-2021, 10:10 PM)Snapp3rfi Wrote: I’m new to this forum, actually I have never posted to any forum before. Anyhow, I just bought this lot of wood from an online auction which was listing for an estate sale close to my house. I was hoping to get some idea of what kind of lumber this is. I know it’s not really a reasonable question being that the picture they had posted is poor quality but I figured I’d give it a shot anyways.

Welcome!

My first instinct was Douglas Fir, or some such similar construction "2-by" lumber that's been sitting outside or somehow oxidized/weathered? (this referring to the first picture in your original post only)
I'd say douglas fir or southern yellow pine.
Welcome! And congratulations on the. Great deal. I agree, looks like some sort of pine, spruce or fir. Construction material.

If you paid $5.40 for it, you stole it.
Congratulations.

It’s probably a pine—possibly longleaf or loblolly.
Could be Douglas Fir too.

Either way, great score.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Mostly SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fur)
Looks like a chunk of walnut above your sack of quikcrete
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020