Cloud lift Greene and greene
On the cloud lifts How do they do the curves that go pass the edge.

I’m having trouble posting pics now but here’s a link

https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-...ture-frame
(10-16-2021, 11:09 AM)Juss1 Wrote: On the cloud lifts How do they do the curves that go pass the edge.

I’m having trouble posting pics now but here’s a link

https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-...ture-frame
The general shape is done with a template and a router, the template made on a bandsaw, and cleaned up wby sanding (according to the article; there are other ways, of course). The relieved curves are done with chisels.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Thanks Aram.  Just to be clear it's the curve circled in red.

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-16-2021, 08:29 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Thanks Aram.  Just to be clear it's the curve circled in red.

Chisels.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I would probably start with a hardboard template of the curve and use a marking knife to define the sharp edge/line that will remain the higher "cloud".  I would then use a fine stitch rasp and files (probably a good set of riffler files)  to lower the lower cloud followed by sandpaper.
Knife mark using template for the curve, then wood file. I wouldn't try using a rasp, because it's a subtle detail and the rasp would be too aggressive as well as risking tearout at the perimeter. Followup with a scraper to get rid of file marks.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I built that same frame and have it in the front hall over a G & G table.   I used a knife line and chisel also.
It is a relief cut into the wood so it looks higher at the curve.

Basically, remove some material at that location .

As others have noted, there are numerous ways to do this.