Looking at a DJ-20
A friend is liquidating his shop and getting out of serious woodworking.  I am looking at picking up several of his machines.  My question is about his Delta DJ-20 Jointer (Model 37-350).

I looked at the Identiplate today.  The machine was made in 1987.  I expected to see that it was made in the USA, but instead I saw "Made in Brazil" on the plate.  

I wasn't aware that Delta had manufacturing facilities (or arrangements) for manufacturing in Brazil.

I absolutely will buy old Delta iron.  This jointer, if I buy it, will replace my Delta 37-220 6" jointer (1958 manufacture in Tupelo, MS).

Does anybody have insight to the quality of these Brazil-sourced machines?

Other than source, the machine is in good condition and has no rust.
(10-16-2021, 04:00 PM)WxMan Wrote: A friend is liquidating his shop and getting out of serious woodworking.  I am looking at picking up several of his machines.  My question is about his Delta DJ-20 Jointer (Model 37-350).

I looked at the Identiplate today.  The machine was made in 1987.  I expected to see that it was made in the USA, but instead I saw "Made in Brazil" on the plate.  

I wasn't aware that Delta had manufacturing facilities (or arrangements) for manufacturing in Brazil.

I absolutely will buy old Delta iron.  This jointer, if I buy it, will replace my Delta 37-220 6" jointer (1958 manufacture in Tupelo, MS).

Does anybody have insight to the quality of these Brazil-sourced machines?

Other than source, the machine is in good condition and has no rust.

I would not pass on it because it was made in Brazil. AFAIK Delta made a whole range of jointers in Brazil, including some very nice large units. I'd base decision on condition and price.
Brazil made quality machines.
Be aware if you need certain parts down the road, they are unumtainable unless you find NOS or used.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Invicta, wasn’t it?  There were a few machines Delta had made or rebadged by them.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Those are greater jointers.  I'd have no qualms buying one as long as it's in good shape.  And I wouldn't worry about spare parts.  When was the last time you needed a replacement part for a jointer, other than a bearing which is readily available anywhere?  That's a young machine compared to my 1954 Unisaw.  

John
TDKPE: yes, it was Invicta making the machines for Delta. I recall looking at the 12" (or was ir a 13") planer and the DJ 20 8" jointer. Believe Invicta also made other machines for Delta, but am not certain as to what they were as my local dealer only carried the DJ 20 and 12 or 13" planer. From what I recall, users thought the Delta-Invicta machines were very well made.
I wouldn't hesitate, it's a great machine. There was also a lot of the 13" stationary planers made in Brazil...also great machines.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I forgot they were made in Brazil.  I really like my DJ20, I think it was made in '94.
(10-16-2021, 07:51 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Invicta, wasn’t it?  There were a few machines Delta had made or rebadged by them.

Yup.

I'm thinking that jointer is going to end up in my shop, along with a Supermax 19-38 and a Powermatic Model 15.  If I'm real sneaky, there's a SawStop 5HP ICS 52" that might migrate into my shop as well.  I'll sell my 3HP SS PCS 36" to make room for it, and offset the cost a bit.
(10-17-2021, 07:38 AM)WxMan Wrote: Yup.

I'm thinking that jointer is going to end up in my shop, along with a Supermax 19-38 and a Powermatic Model 15.  If I'm real sneaky, there's a SawStop 5HP ICS 52" that might migrate into my shop as well.  I'll sell my 3HP SS PCS 36" to make room for it, and offset the cost a bit.

I am not sure whether I wish you were closer or not.
Winkgrin

Those look like some really sweet additions to your shop.

Now you just need a good lathe to convert all of the above into flat surfaces to support the vortex.
Slap <-me
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.