Looking at a DJ-20
(10-18-2021, 05:21 PM)iclark Wrote: I am not sure whether I wish you were closer or not.
Winkgrin

Those look like some really sweet additions to your shop.

Now you just need a good lathe to convert all of the above into flat surfaces to support the vortex.
Slap <-me

I have a Jet 1014 with extension bed.  I use it mainly to create spindle parts for furniture parts/repair, and quite a few pens over the years.

My friend has an older Delta lathe with Reeves (?) drive.  Not sure of size.  I think he's going to just dump it on me.  If I get the rest, I have to take the lathe, too.  Not crazy about having the Reeves drive.  But if nothing else, I can sell it and recoup some more cost.

Right now, I'm trying to help find him a buyer for a Jet JMD 18 Mill/Drill.  Just started looking for a buyer.
(10-16-2021, 07:11 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Brazil made quality machines.
Be aware if you need certain parts down the road, they are unumtainable unless you find NOS or used.

Ditto- I had  a bunch of lever handles missing when I bought mine and had a hard time finding Delta replacements. To be fair, I probably could have bought Grizzly parts (most of which are interchangeable I think) or fabricated something. But just beware parts really are almost impossible to find at a decent price.
When I got mine in the late 90's, they had moved production back to the USA, Tennessee if I recall, but my machine is USA made.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-18-2021, 06:26 PM)WxMan Wrote: I have a Jet 1014 with extension bed.  I use it mainly to create spindle parts for furniture parts/repair, and quite a few pens over the years.

My friend has an older Delta lathe with Reeves (?) drive.  Not sure of size.  I think he's going to just dump it on me.  If I get the rest, I have to take the lathe, too.  Not crazy about having the Reeves drive.  But if nothing else, I can sell it and recoup some more cost.

Right now, I'm trying to help find him a buyer for a Jet JMD 18 Mill/Drill.  Just started looking for a buyer.

My first non-Shopsmith lathe was a Jet 1014 with extension and stand. The family and I enjoyed it and it is now in my older niece's shop in FL. I liked it enough that I bought another one for my other niece. It is still NIB waiting for her to get a shop.

Since I picked up a Woodcraft classroom Jet 1642, that has been my main lathe.

There is a good chance that the Delta with the Reeve's drive is a 12" gap bed lathe. The Reeve's drives actually worked surprisingly well as long as you did the maintenance (mainly cleaning and lubrication). The biggest problem is that, if something breaks, there are essentially no replacement parts. Selling it while it is working and using the money for accessories for the other tools is probably wise.

I googled the Jet JMD 18. I wouldn't have room for it, but my wallet is glad that you are not closer.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-19-2021, 02:14 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Ditto- I had  a bunch of lever handles missing when I bought mine and had a hard time finding Delta replacements. To be fair, I probably could have bought Grizzly parts (most of which are interchangeable I think) or fabricated something. But just beware parts really are almost impossible to find at a decent price.

The lever handles are simply metric threaded Kipp handles.  I've replaced many of them on people's jointers over the years.
During the Invicta years the Delta people told me that Brazil was like the wild west.  The manufacturing compound had to have prison wire walls surrounding it to keep out thieves and vandals.  Delta finally gave up on the enterprise in frustration.  The only real problem with the Brazilian  machines was with their little 12" planer.  Some of the very early sprocket gears weren't hardened well enough and wore out prematurely.  Other than that, the other machines were fine.
The jointers were usually imported and then bolted on to USA-made stands with USA motors and switches.  There will be a color difference because the original paint on the bases and the paint on the jointers were of different formulas.
OP, what did you end up doing with that stuff....move it to your shop????
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-23-2021, 05:30 AM)fredhargis Wrote: OP, what did you end up doing with that stuff....move it to your shop????

Not yet.

When my friend told me he was getting out of the woodworking hobby, he told me he was going to do that next year (Spring 2022).  When I visited last week, he told me he's ready to let the planer, 19-38 sander, jointer, and lathe go now.  He's going to hold on to the ICS until next Spring.  We just need to settle on price.  He's out of town right now, and so I'll reengage when we meet for lunch on next Wednesday.

I'm of mixed emotion.  The tools are great; he takes care of his stuff.  His shop liquidation seems to be a redirection as he gets older (he's 73) and I'm apprehensive about what that means for our friendship.  Our friendship will just have to evolve as times change, I suppose.
Where might this 36” PCS be sitting when (if) you sell it?

Calculating a round trip cost.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
if it doesn't already have one, and if you can find one, the rolling base for the DJ20 is pretty nice.  Amazon has a list of sellers, all of which look somewhat suspicious.
(11-03-2021, 09:45 AM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: Where might this 36” PCS be sitting when (if) you sell it?

Calculating a round trip cost.

Southwest Iowa.  (Cue Bob Seeger: "On a long and lonely highway, east of Omaha...")

When I had lunch with my friend last week, he let me know that he and his wife are going to relocate to be closer to their daughter.  They will move into a condo that has already been purchased, so the future move is effectively a done deal.  Timing is up in the air.  Before last week, the plan was Summer 2022.  Now it's 2023.  He's selling the drum sander, planer, and jointer to me now; we'll move it when the ground freezes and we can back my trailer to his walkout basement door.  It looks like the SS ICS deal won't happen for 18 months or so.  He says he'll keep that machine until then.  Still not a sure deal that I'll buy that ICS.  Until Alan told me he was selling out, my PCS was that "last saw I'll every buy."

(11-03-2021, 01:03 PM)EricU Wrote: if it doesn't already have one, and if you can find one, the rolling base for the DJ20 is pretty nice.  Amazon has a list of sellers, all of which look somewhat suspicious.

It doesn't have a mobile base.  That's one of the near-term things to square away before I get the jointer (probably next month.)  My son-in-law has offered to help weld one up, and that's what I might do.  Not only does he have a welder, he knows where to get the steel.