Tool inventory sheet
As I'm sorting and organizing my (fairly) new shop I realized I needed to inventor my "stuff" for a number of reasons, like knowing I need a part for something but my computer is in house and the serial number, etc I need is 100 feet away and I'm ... "economical" about my energy use
Rolleyes

So I started taking cell phone pix of data plates, etc to have the info at my computer.

While I'm at it I'm going to note a "value" for the tool "just in case".  I have a few things I'll be getting rid of so the info will be in my computer if I need it.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
It's a really good idea, and one I need to do as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-17-2021, 08:41 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: As I'm sorting and organizing my (fairly) new shop I realized I needed to inventor my "stuff" for a number of reasons, like knowing I need a part for something but my computer is in house and the serial number, etc I need is 100 feet away and I'm ... "economical" about my energy use
Rolleyes

So I started taking cell phone pix of data plates, etc to have the info at my computer.

While I'm at it I'm going to note a "value" for the tool "just in case".  I have a few things I'll be getting rid of so the info will be in my computer if I need it.
Laugh

It's something I should do, too.

There's also another reason, perhaps a bit too "pessimistic" or "morbid" for some, but what happens if I die suddenly and LOML needs to liquidate my shop without my "over the shoulder" guidance?

Just like we have wills, final preps are best made when one is healthy and still on the sunny side of the daisies.
I did this several years ago and it is a continuing project, of course, as it needs to be maintained as you acquire/dispose stuff. When I first started the project, I soon found that a database program was just too cumbersome and ended up just using a spreadsheet. Actually, I have two spreadsheets. I soon found that I was typing the same manufacturers name over and over. So, I started using a code for the manufacturers and made a link to a second spreadsheet with the full names, addresses, phone, etc. One thing I did not do was include cost information, I may go back and do that but I wonder how useful that will be to someone in years to come. Original cost becomes less meaningful as time goes by and replacement cost also changes. I would love to hear some opinions on that. I have also considered including photos but going back and doing it now would be a big job. It would have been good to do it from the start.
I use a spreadsheet with columns for equipment, brand name, model / serial number, notes and retail price.  I include prices so my daughters have a starting point.  I use prices from the box stores and amazon to get a ball park price.  It is important to come up with a total price of all equipment in case someone wants to buy the whole lot.  I've talked to them and shown them different items and why a Starrett is going to bring more than a lesser brand.  I'm not worried about small hand tools but I have a few Gerstner chests, a lot of Starrett pieces, Festool and many items that will bring a good price.  It's a little scary when you start calculating the total of everything.  Lucky I have such a wonderful wife who isn't bothered by my tool habit.  I started buying tools when I was in high school - I'm almost 70 now - so the shop is pretty full.  
Big Grin

Lonnie
An inventory is a good idea. An easier way to document, that could also help to construct an inventory, is to record a video while walking through the shop and talking about each tool. An image of the serial number provides that if you want it.
I did this very same thing many years ago and have kept updating the list every time I add something new to my tool inventory. If you do this, you'll probably be surprised, as I was, just how much money you have invested in this hobby.