Table top re-finish project, plx help.
Photo 
Hello all, 

This is my first post so please forgive my newbiness. My wife made a new project for me - a table from the local thirft store. The table top was in bad shape. I just stripped it.  To me, it looks like the finish on the table (before I stripped it) was actually paint - not stain. On the base/legs there is like black paint specks here and there. I guess its supposed to mimic Bamboo. After stripping the table top, the veneer top looks like it may have had some stain/sealer applied to it - but its a hot mess.  Its not a paper thin veneer and can take some sanding, but not enough to remove the absorbed old stain/sealer (whatever it is) without probably ruining it.  My wife wants the top to match the base.  Since it overlaps with another aspect of this project (yay me!) - my wife also wants a leaf built or two part leaf built for it. It extends some 40+inches. I don't see how any type of stain work work, given its current condition and lack of findings simmilar wood for leaf. But, I absolutley could be wrong. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

If this is just a paint job, any ideas/tips? Or it this just take a peice of the trim to the paint store deal? On that note - any one know where I can find the decoratrive table top edge trim and trim connecting leg to corner/base of tabletop? I think I have basically boiled down what its called -  'half round faux bamboo trim.' Can't seem to find it anywhere though.  
Photos link here:  Photos, and thumbnails below  - including before and current state.  Thanks a lot!

[Image: 20210826-194228.jpg]

[Image: 20210826-194252.jpg]

[Image: 20210827-083834.jpg]

[Image: 20211017-180355.jpg]

[Image: 20211017-180416.jpg]

[Image: 20210826-193925.jpg]

[Image: 20210826-194005.jpg]
The top looks like maple to me, especially the area where I see curly grain, so maybe the whole table is maple?  In any case, you haven't gotten all the finish and/or stain off the top yet.  There are strippers specifically made for removing stain and I'd try one of them before sanding or scraping it. 

Matching the finish of the new leaves, and aprons?, to the base won't be easy.  That finish was likely a spray no wipe stain or a lacquer toner, and then a clearcoat.  Unless you have a lot of experience in those areas I would go a different route and consider making the top a different color, either stained/dyed wood, or painted.  A dark stain or paint would eliminate having to do a lot more prep work on the top.

John
(10-18-2021, 12:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The top looks like maple to me, especially the area where I see curly grain, so maybe the whole table is maple?  In any case, you haven't gotten all the finish and/or stain off the top yet.  There are strippers specifically made for removing stain and I'd try one of them before sanding or scraping it. 

Matching the finish of the new leaves, and aprons?, to the base won't be easy.  That finish was likely a spray no wipe stain or a lacquer toner, and then a clearcoat.  Unless you have a lot of experience in those areas I would go a different route and consider making the top a different color, either stained/dyed wood, or painted.  A dark stain or paint would eliminate having to do a lot more prep work on the top. 

John

Thanks for the excellent advice!  I used a orange gel stripper (overnight)(wrapped with plastic) then used another stripper/restorer with steel wool - I think what you see is embedded/absorbed beyond the surface. I failed to mention, I put a clear wood conditioner on it just before taking the photo like an person - then I came here after giving it some thought.  In the end, I think you are right! I don't have the expereince. I will do as you suggest! Much appreciated.
Have you considered applying a new plastic laminate top. Considering your limited experience, it would be relatively easy to do and you should be able to find a faux wood grain to match perfectly. In addition, in the end, the surface would be bomb proof. This would be good for the leaves you are making as they will get banged around some.
Before you do more stripping, you might try some *careful* scraping. What's left on there might come off fairly easy.

The table isn't worth enough to re-veneer, but that's a viable option.

Be careful, you might screw it up beyond salvation.... wink, wink, wink...........................
If it were mine, I’d paint the base, strip the top and then use an analine dye like Transtint to color the top. Analine dye does very well on maple and birch. Matching the finish to the base will be a PITA, IMO.

The frame on that table appears to be glazed. It’s possible that the top was finished the same way. I doubt the finishing regimen was taken as far with the frame as it was on the top. The top may have been shot with toners. It’s just not possible to know from the photographs. You can see dark areas on those extension rails where the top (and a leaf) were shot with some colored material. Was that the original stain, or a toner? I don’t know. Without seeing it in the flesh I’m holding off concrete conclusions. This is an advanced project.