rust and table tops
(10-21-2021, 06:04 PM)EricBruns Wrote: I'll be gentle with the top on the table saw, but what about this, the metal inside the planer bay. A lot more rust.

Same approach?

I'd start with a single edge razor blade in a holder, and scrape off the gross surface rust first.  I do this when rehabbing handsaws; you get a lot of rust off quickly scraping.  Bought a box of blades (100 count) at harbor freight cheap....  or if there's enough room, you can use a utility knife blade held firmly in a vice grip to do the scraping.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-22-2021, 07:57 AM)Admiral Wrote: I'd start with a single edge razor blade in a holder, and scrape off the gross surface rust first.  I do this when rehabbing handsaws; you get a lot of rust off quickly scraping.  Bought a box of blades (100 count) at harbor freight cheap....  or if there's enough room, you can use a utility knife blade held firmly in a vice grip to do the scraping.

Ha, yes, I'm all about saving time if I can. Have about 5 or 6 ten-blade holders that are laying around somewhere (wait, I just saw that didn't I?) and handy vice grips. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
(10-21-2021, 08:41 AM)EricBruns Wrote: I just brought home a used machine. It's probably close to 30 years or more old. The shop it was kept in was not maintained at a moisture free level and there is some rust. I'm attaching a picture of the table saw portion top a relatively little rust that is present. The machine (Robland x31) has a planer feature and that metal surface in the belly of the machine is REALLY rusty. It seems to still be completely flat.

I've tried to do a topic search on here to see what you all have had to suggest as an approach to rust removal. It seems like the use of something like WD40 and "light" sanding (with patience) is an adequate method to remove rust and preserve the trueness of metal surfaces.

Am I reading that right or can anyone shed light on a better approach?

Thanks!!

P'fft, that's not rust....  Scrape it off using a razor paint scraper and then apply a liberal coating, or two, of paste wax to the top. 

Done.
chris
(10-22-2021, 05:17 AM)stav Wrote: I like to use a fine grit wire wheel on an angle grinder or drill for rust removal. Then clean with towel and apply wax.

Ditto. Wear really good personal protection.  A real respirator, something like this, complete face protection, long sleeves and long pants.

Seriously. The wire in the wheels can come loose and is moving fast enough to embed itself in skin/soft tissue. DAMHIKT.....
chris
Once you scrape off the excess rust with razor blades, use a random orbital sander with Scotchbrite pads and WD40 to finish the cleanup of the top. A friend just did this to a Delta bandsaw table that was rusted up due to water sprayed on it from a fire hose (long story.) Looks just like new. Top off with Johnson's paste wax.

Doug
Got an afternoon with nothing scheduled...which means time in the shop.

Thanks for sharing the experience and tips. I'll post some "after" picks when I'm done.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
Very light rust. I'd use 0000 steel wool and wd 4 or similiar.
Don't want to sand. Cast iron sands fast. Might develope a low spot.
Cast iron tops with patina dont rust as much. My 1946 Unisaurus top is almost blackl
I put on 3 coats of Minwax paste wax. Buffed between coats.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Glue a piece of glass to plywood.  Aboout 12" x 3".  Then use some 3M 77 adhesive to glue some 320 or 400 grit paper to the glass.  Glass is always almost perfectly flat.  Only apply the 77 adhesive to the sand paper and it will be removable.  Mount a block of wood to the plywood to act as a handle.   Rub over the surface of the table.  A very light sharpening oil will help with the sanding. You should be able to get most of that rust off, and the rest of the table will look great.  Apply an automotive or wood wax to  protect the surface.  Wipe off the excess really well.  Any wax rubbing off onto your wood projects will compromise the adhesion of the finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.