rust and table tops
I just brought home a used machine. It's probably close to 30 years or more old. The shop it was kept in was not maintained at a moisture free level and there is some rust. I'm attaching a picture of the table saw portion top a relatively little rust that is present. The machine (Robland x31) has a planer feature and that metal surface in the belly of the machine is REALLY rusty. It seems to still be completely flat.

I've tried to do a topic search on here to see what you all have had to suggest as an approach to rust removal. It seems like the use of something like WD40 and "light" sanding (with patience) is an adequate method to remove rust and preserve the trueness of metal surfaces.

Am I reading that right or can anyone shed light on a better approach?

Thanks!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
Most of what I see there is patina. You'll never get that off with out resurfacing the cast iron, which would be a ridiculous thing to do.

I would just work on the rusty areas with 400 grit sandpaper and WD40. Clean everything up with brake cleaner, acetone or DNC an apply a coat of wax.
(10-21-2021, 09:05 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Most of what I see there is patina.  You'll never get that off with out resurfacing the cast iron, which would be a ridiculous thing to do.

I would just work on the rusty areas with 400 grit sandpaper and WD40. Clean everything up with brake cleaner, acetone or DNC an apply a coat of wax.

Thanks! What does the brake cleaner do? I'm new to that.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Brake cleaner removes any oily residue. New brake rotors are shipped with an oily finish to keep them from rusting, but you wouldn't want that on there when you need to stop!!
earl
(10-21-2021, 12:35 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: Brake cleaner removes any oily residue.  New brake rotors are shipped with an oily finish to keep them from rusting, but you wouldn't want that on there when you need to stop!! 
earl

Wink
Cool
Big Grin
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
For the little rust I see some wd40 and a green Scotchbrite pad will do.   Clean off the residue and apply Johnson's paste wax or other coating.  Roly
(10-21-2021, 03:16 PM)Roly Wrote: For the little rust I see some wd40 and a green Scotchbrite pad will do.   Clean off the residue and apply Johnson's paste wax or other coating.  Roly

+1.  that top does not look bad, you will have some residual "staining" but my unisaw has a lot of that from 25 years use, and is basically cosmetic.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'll be gentle with the top on the table saw, but what about this, the metal inside the planer bay. A lot more rust.

Same approach?

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
(10-21-2021, 06:04 PM)EricBruns Wrote: I'll be gentle with the top on the table saw, but what about this, the metal inside the planer bay. A lot more rust.

Same approach?

See if it works ,if not try the 400 grit paper with a lubricant.  Use a block with the paper to keep flat.  Roly
I like to use a fine grit wire wheel on an angle grinder or drill for rust removal. Then clean with towel and apply wax.