Watch this wooden knife cut effortlessly through juicy, medium-well-done steak
Tongue 
Greetings all;

Hope everyone is doing well and healthy. Thought you all will get a kick out of this article. May even start a new woodworking trend...
Wink

Cheers
(10-21-2021, 05:25 PM)Teak Wrote: Greetings all;

Hope everyone is doing well and healthy. Thought you all will get a kick out of this article. May even start a new woodworking trend...
Wink

Cheers

How about re-titling that video to "Watch this tongue depressor tear a steak at a fat juncture"? There was no cutting going on there, that I could see.

The author's one of the crew that turned me off to Ars years ago. It used to be a great site; then it became mostly a Conde Nast propaganda organ.

All that bile out of the way, the researchers' results seem pretty interesting. Good on them!
Interesting concept, but I think their definition of “sharp” leaves a lot to be desired.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
The knife did not cut the steak he just sawed off through the gristle connection point.  It was just as well it would have broken my heart to see a steak overcooked.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(11-07-2021, 07:00 PM)photobug Wrote: The knife did not cut the steak he just sawed off through the gristle connection point.  It was just as well it would have broken my heart to see a steak overcooked.

As we so often ask ourselves around this webite, "How sharp is sharp?"

I would call this video a total bust. When he is trying to cut through fat and still has to repeatedly pull the knife through the meat instead of making one nice sharp cut without pulling the meat apart. I wonder if his knife can match the TV favorite Ginzo knife slicing through steel bolts and then making paper thin tomato slices without any suggestion of sharpening.

I was at a gun show in the early 1980s and they were showing a "CIA Letter opener", which was a dagger made from glass-reinforced molded nylon. 

They demonstrated it by hitting the butt of the handle and driving the point (and the blade) through a 3/4" thick piece of plywood. I was impressed.

It also would not show up on any X-rays. 

The original (at that show) was made by A.G. Russell, a respected knife maker of the time.  Used ones are valuable.

It does not surprise me that alternatives to metal for knives can be effective.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/r...1826104587
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Seems to me you guys are missing the point of the research.

It’s not …can/will/should a processed wood knife replace your German or Japanese uber sharp premium impressively expensive steak knife. 
No

It is whether wooden utensils are a viable alternative to plastic foremost and metal secondly.