How would you make these curved corners?
Need to make something like these. Mine will be for a much larger window but same principle

I see how they made the long stretches connected with pocket screw but now would you go about making the curved section

Thanks

Robert

Sure looks like the piece is traced out on a board that was made by face stacking them to make a glueup and probably cut out on a bandsaw, then cleaned up by hand .

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Can't tell from the picture. Possibly a bent lamination?
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(10-24-2021, 02:45 PM)museumguy Wrote: Can't tell from the picture. Possibly a bent lamination?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of youtube videos show how to do it with a bending form. Steam bending is more suitable for narrow pieces than a large window.

Simon
(10-24-2021, 01:38 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Sure looks like the piece is traced out on a board that was made by face stacking them to make a glueup and probably cut out on a bandsaw, then cleaned up by hand .

The grain lines seem to suggest a whole solid piece.

Simon
The ends look like 4 pieces of stock glued up and then band sawn out.  

I just rehabbed an oval window and the frame on that was made by bricklaying up boards and then band sawing it out.  That eliminates any butt type joints as you have with your construction.  If your project is an exterior window I wouldn't want butt joints.   

John
For me?  I would do bent lamination.  It is pretty easy.  Since the corners are pretty tight I would go 1/8" or less to bend .  Also allow for a bit of spring back so go to 95 degrees instead of 90. 

The other way - cut it out from a large piece and put some veneer on the out side. 

Both will give you the look you want.  The veneer option would be faster but the bent lams would be stronger.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.