Largest planer on a mobile base
My new shop construction is coming into the final phase and I'm thinking about upgrading a couple tools.  While it will be a fair amount of space, I'd rather not dedicate a big chunk to the jointer and planer when they're not in use.  However I'd like to upgrade to a larger format jointer and planer.  If the jointer is up against the wall I can store the planer on one of the sides and pull it out when in use.

Whats the largest planer you guys have on a mobile base? I'm not looking to go full industrial, but 16-18" might be nice.
My 15" is on a mobile base (Delta planer and base) but my jointer is on an HTC base made for the Grizzly 20" planer. So you shouldn't have a problem finding a base that will carry the load (if that's the concern).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-26-2021, 07:04 AM)fredhargis Wrote: My 15" is on a mobile base (Delta planer and base) but my jointer is on an HTC base made for the Grizzly 20" planer. So you shouldn't have a problem finding a base that will carry the load (if that's the concern).

My DC580 20" Delta is on a mobile base. Casters are 90 degrees to the path of the wood, two fixed and two swivel. Its well over 1000lbs. No issue moving while on the base. Casters can lock down too but have not had to.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My 20" Parks planer weighs in at 1500+ pounds and I have it on a shop-made mobile base with swivel casters that can handle the weight. Not sure I even have the casters locked. That machine is heavy. I don't realistically move it much, but can if/when needed

Tyler
I had PM 20" planer on a Bora mobile for awhile until I decided to dedicate a spot for it.
I have had 2 planers weighing 450+# each on shopmade bases. 4 non locking swivel casters. Doesn't move when being used. 4 swivel casters make moving easier, than with 2 fixed casters.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Where are you?  I'd like to discuss something if you're reasonably close to Louisville, KY
Winkgrin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(10-26-2021, 03:51 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Where are you?  I'd like to discuss something if you're reasonably close to Louisville, KY
Winkgrin

Currently in MI so while not crazy far its a bit of a drive.
20" on a mobile base.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I had an older 16" powermatic planer on a heavy duty stand with wheels. I think it weighted over a thousand pounds. The wheels didn't have any brakes but it stayed in place by itself.