To Backroll or Not to Backroll Spanish Lace Stucco
[font="segoe ui", "helvetica neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "fira sans", "droid sans", sans-serif]In talking to contractors about painting our house here in Tucson, one in particular indicated that he did not want to backroll. He prefers a thorough first coat spraying in both horizontal and vertical directions to fully coat the very rough stucco finish, followed by a second spray coat. He felt that the backrolling of the lace would tend to reduce the roughness and change the final texture. I'm a bit uncomfortable with not backrolling but he seemed to feel that for that particular stucco finish, it would be preferable to do it as he described. While everything I read says backrolling is a must, I am curious because he and his firm have a long and high qualtiy reputation and I am torn between several more traditional painters and this fellow. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,[/font]
(10-27-2021, 03:57 PM)Fix2Relax Wrote: [font="segoe ui", "helvetica neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "fira sans", "droid sans", sans-serif]In talking to contractors about painting our house here in Tucson, one in particular indicated that he did not want to backroll. He prefers a thorough first coat spraying in both horizontal and vertical directions to fully coat the very rough stucco finish, followed by a second spray coat. He felt that the backrolling of the lace would tend to reduce the roughness and change the final texture. I'm a bit uncomfortable with not backrolling but he seemed to feel that for that particular stucco finish, it would be preferable to do it as he described. While everything I read says backrolling is a must, I am curious because he and his firm have a long and high qualtiy reputation and I am torn between several more traditional painters and this fellow. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,[/font]

If you're uncomfortable with him, why not just go with one of the others?  I think were it me, if I liked everything else he said I'd let him do it his way... considering his long and high quality reputation.
Spraying and not back rolling is faster and easier. 2 coats in opposite directions is the best way without back rolling. IMO, I like how back rolling really pushing the paint into all the nooks and crannies. Back rolling or even just rolling uses more paint.

Back rolling will help even out the thickness of the coat in case he gets a little heavy in certain areas. This also helps achieve an even sheen. Flat paints don’t matter as much.

I’m sure they will charge more for back rolling. You could always let them start and you could ask for the second coat to be back rolled if you aren’t happy with the first coat. Personally, I back rolled my stucco but it’s a bit more coarse than yours. Yours reminds me of knockdown ceiling. Most knockdown ceilings are sprayed twice and not back rolled when using flat white paint.