Programmable Thermostat
My new house has a Honeywell programmable thermostat that annoys me. I cycles on & off with only a small change in temp, both on heat & AC, & stays on for only a few minutes. It seems to me that if it allowed a wider swing of temp & ran for 10 or 15 minutes it would be more efficient. Does any know of a thermostat with a wider swing than 1 or 2 degrees for a reasonable price??
(10-29-2021, 09:38 AM)George Denecke Wrote: My new house has a Honeywell programmable thermostat that annoys me. I cycles on & off with only a small change in temp, both on heat & AC, & stays on for only a few minutes. It seems to me that if it allowed a wider swing of temp & ran for 10 or 15 minutes it would be more efficient. Does any know of a thermostat with a wider swing than 1 or 2 degrees for a reasonable price??

See if you can look up a manual for the thermostat online.  Most programmable thermostats  have a differential setting that you can adjust.   If you have a heat pump don't set the differential too wide of it will turn on the aux heat when cycling.    Roly
Also, evaluate the thermostat’s location and your area’s envelope.  
Your situation is unusual.  A home has a lot of mass; to swing the temp a couple of degrees should take a while.

In my previous life I was an energy manager for our school district.  When we saw that sort of a situation on our computer I would evaluate the classroom.  Often it was a mini-refrigerator, a TV set, a printer, or other placed too close to the thermostat.  But, sometimes the stat was close to the entrance door and the teacher had been leaving the door open while teaching (a fire code violation unless the door had an electro-magnet catch).
My 4 year old Carrier gas furnace works that way....by design. I was used to the longer cycle time as you mentioned and at least this furnace is set up to function qquite a bit differently. Just suggesting that it may be the way things are supposed to work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-29-2021, 11:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: My 4 year old Carrier gas furnace works that way....by design. I was used to the longer cycle time as you mentioned and at least this furnace is set up to function qquite a bit differently. Just suggesting that it may be the way things are supposed to work.

Yes, the high efficiency models with variable speed fan runs similarly.
(10-29-2021, 11:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: My 4 year old Carrier gas furnace works that way....by design. I was used to the longer cycle time as you mentioned and at least this furnace is set up to function qquite a bit differently. Just suggesting that it may be the way things are supposed to work.

I have a new Emerson thermostat and it has a setting if you want it to cycle often, normal or less often.    As far as energy use it may not make a difference but it will be more comfortable if it runs more often to keep the temp even.  It will also keep rooms closer to a even temp.   Roly