Veneering With Hide Glue (French Language)
Here I’m going to link to a YouTube video which demonstrates the simplicity of a veneering project. At a glance, a completed project of this type (Louis XV cabriole legs and frame) might seem very difficult to build, but the man demonstrates a dead simple method.
Notice how he wets the veneer both sides so the application of the glue doesn’t curl the leaf of veneer. (I’d use distilled water) He has also tooled the surface with a rabot a dents (toothing plane). In fact, he just pulled the iron out of a plane and used it as a scraper.
The video is a French language format, so if you don’t speak French, the lessons will be strictly visual. All the same, the man is skilled enough and the presentation explicit enough to easily understand what’s going on.
Link: https://youtu.be/4IY9KFMkihc
Interesting video. I like how after applying the veneer, he goes over it with the iron and the wood block to ensure every part of the surface is adhered to the leg.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Paul,  interesting video.  I have used hot hide glue some, and have seen a demo in person, but have never seen his particular approach -  he uses glue of a much thicker consistency, and takes a lot more time in putting down the piece.  When I have done it ,  it is all about trying to get it done quickly, though I assume preheating the piece, and going over with the iron,  make that not that important.
(11-02-2021, 05:58 AM)AHill Wrote: Interesting video.  I like how after applying the veneer, he goes over it with the iron and the wood block to ensure every part of the surface is adhered to the leg.

He just deputized that wood block as a veneer hammer.
The main surprising thing to me is that he lets it cool so long after just smoothing it with his fingers, and then rewarms it with the iron before the hammer process (using the block of wood).  I would have thought the iron would be tricky on the concave curves.
Thanks for posting this.  Lots of good tips and a couple of new things to try.

Lonnie