So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!!
(04-25-2022, 01:36 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Thanks much! Not a traveling salesman, but its a bed for the guest bedroom so our guests will be quite comfortable. I am hoping to try it out at some point!
A very nice guest bed, for sure. I don't think your guests will complain about that!

Why did you say non-traditional for the project? Do you mean because of the bed bolts? Seems like the joinery is pretty traditional to me, using m&t. I think it looks XLNT, but I don't abide to any period specific projects, if they happen to fall into an era that's fine, but I don't go out of my way to make it 100% correct. More so I try to add or do something different so that my piece will be unique.

Seems to me you have quite a bit of traditional joinery and you were using hand tools for at least the assembly portion, seems kinda like the way I work.

My opinion means very little, but I think it's a fantastic piece and you completed it, what's not to like???
Winkgrin
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(04-25-2022, 04:00 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: A very nice guest bed, for sure. I don't think your guests will complain about that!

Why did you say non-traditional for the project? Do you mean because of the bed bolts? Seems like the joinery is pretty traditional to me, using m&t. I think it looks XLNT, but I don't abide to any period specific projects, if they happen to fall into an era that's fine, but I don't go out of my way to make it 100% correct. More so I try to add or do something different so that my piece will be unique.

Seems to me you have quite a bit of traditional joinery and you were using hand tools for at least the assembly portion, seems kinda like the way I work.

My opinion means very little, but I think it's a fantastic piece and you completed it, what's not to like???
Winkgrin

Thanks much for the kind words. You may have misinterpreted my first post: I indicated that it was a nontraditional build post: i.e., was planning on giving status reports but far less detail than many other folks provide in the usual build post. Documenting a build can consume lots of time and effort, as anyone that has done one of these posts will tell you. Kudos to those that share their detailed builds: everyone benefits from this effort. As far a how traditional the actual bed construction was, yes, mortise/tenon construction throughout created via a combination of machine and hand tool processes. Specific details regarding the headboard/footboard construction will likely be showing up in print form in a very popular (no not "that" Popular) WW magazine in the future: stay tuned.......
Thanks for the info on the Osmo, Phil, I'll give it a try.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Extremely handsome and well crafted,  which we have come to expect from you.
(04-30-2022, 05:28 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Extremely handsome and well crafted,  which we have come to expect from you.

Thank you kindly, Sir: much appreciated!

Since this post got bumped again, I thought I would add one more pic showing the bed-bolt covers: disks of ebony with rare earth magnets epoxied to the back to hold them in place.

[Image: IMG-3280.jpg]" />